Author Topic: RG's Cinnamon Rolls - NEW & IMPROVED!!  (Read 5222 times)

RG

RG's Cinnamon Rolls - NEW & IMPROVED!!
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
So, in my never ending quest to improve on things I cook I set out to find a different Cinnamon Roll recipe than what I had used in the past. I don't make these very often, actually I've only made cinnamon rolls from scratch maybe 4-5 times in my life.

These are the real deal, no need to continue to look for another recipe. This is the one.

My last recipe was pretty dang good but I knew they could be better. I don't see a way to improve this one even though they are very similar to the others. You can look at this recipe to compare to my other one and see they have a lot in common RG's Cinnamon Rolls

I actually cook these at a lower temp and for longer than what I have posted below. Maybe 20-25+ minutes at 350°. A thermometer comes in handy, you want an internal temp of 190°.

Once I roll them out and cut and placed into the baking dish, I wrap them in plastic wrap and let them hang out in the fridge overnight and then I take  them out early to proof in my oven on "Proof" mode for an hour before baking. You can just set them on a counter for an hour or two as well before baking. I STRONGLY recommend proofing in the fridge overnight rather than just baking after the second rise in the pan/dish. It will take some patience but you'll be rewarded with a better product in the end.

Without further adieu, I give you..............RG's MEW & IMPROVED Cinnamon Rolls!!

Dough
1 cup (8 ounces) Lukewarm Milk
2 large eggs, Room Temperature
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) Salted Butter, cut up
4 1/2 cups (19 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) White Sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Instant Yeast

Filling
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) Salted Butter, softened
1 cup (7 1/4 ounces) Brown Sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) Ground Cinnamon

Icing
3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup (2 ounces) Salted Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Glazing or Confectioners’ Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
*optional* 2 tablespoons Orange Juice (sounds weird, trust me though)

Kitchenaid Method: Place all dough ingredients into your Kitchenaid Bowl and mix with dough hook until a nice dough ball forms. Lightly oil your hands and remove dough from the bowl and shape the dough into a ball by continually turning it outside in, rolling the top into the bottom until it is smooth and round.  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to grease all sides, cover the bowl with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 60 minutes, till it’s nearly doubled in bulk.

Manual Method: Combine all of the dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring till the mixture becomes cohesive. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and knead it for 5 to 8 minutes, till it’s smooth. Lightly oil your hands and remove and shape the dough into a ball by continually turning it outside in, rolling the top into the bottom until it is smooth and round.  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to grease all sides, cover the bowl with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 60 minutes, till it’s nearly doubled in bulk.

Bread Machine Method: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (usually, liquids first, yeast last). Program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. After about 10 minutes of kneading, check the dough’s consistency; it should be fairly smooth, not too sticky, not dry and "gnarly." Adjust its consistency with additional flour or water, if necessary, and allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Assembly: Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and roll it into a 16 x 21-inch rectangle. Spread the dough with the 1/3 cup butter. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle it evenly over the dough.

Starting with a short end, roll the dough into a log, and cut it into 12 slices. Place the buns in a lightly buttered 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover the pan with a proof cover or plastic wrap, and let the buns rise until they’re nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. For better results, proof in refrigerator overnight.

Bake the buns in a preheated 400°F oven until they’re golden brown, about 15 minutes. While the buns are baking, make the icing.

Icing: In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla (as well as optional orange juice). Spread the icing on the buns while they’re warm. Yield: 12 big buns. Just enough for 2 people, lol!!! :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:10:52 PM by RG »
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

Re: RG's Cinnamon Rolls - NEW & IMPROVED!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
These Cinnamon Rolls were what Willis was talking 'bout!!! Man alive are they good :P
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »
Whoa....I just popped a button, just thinking about eating one (or 6) of these! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
Yummy good looking!  I bet great tasting too!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

drains

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
WOW! I wish I had one of those with a hot cup of coffee right now. Thanks for sharing RG.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
I'm not a big dessert person, but I love cinnamon rolls, because I am a "bread" person, so desserts that are bready or pastry-ish, I like. I've made cinnamon rolls a few times, and they turned out "so-so". I will definitely be making these. Is Kosher salt measurement "teaspoons" ?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Hi Kari, yes it is! Sorry about that,  I corrected it. Good eye :)
Jason from Conyers GA