Author Topic: Disappointed in the result  (Read 8714 times)

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
Disappointed in the result
« on: December 08, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »
Let me begin by saying this has nothing to do with the SI2.  I love it.  It has to do with the preparer...me.  I invested some time brining 7 lbs. of country style ribs with Tony's pork brine for 14 hours, removed and rinsed well, dried with paper towel, then rubbed with yellow mustard and a rib rub from the local meat market.  I then smoked with 3 oz. of apple wood at 225 for 5.25 hours.  I did have a probe in the thickest part of one of the ribs, but the temp got flaky about 3 hours in, so I just decided to cook by time.  The ribs turned out really tasty...but tough. 

Did I smoke too long?
Bruce in Springfield, IL
Panama Canal Zone grown and raised

smokeasaurus

Re: Disappointed in the result
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
Sounds like temp and time are OK. Did you have a water pan in the smoker? I wonder about the brining time..........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
I hear your concern about the temp going flaky!  I bought a pen thermometer as a back up so I can check against the temps being reported by my Maverick.   Wise investment to ensure that you are getting correct temps.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
I did a combo of country style and baby backs this last weekend and I did something that I never do.  I cut pieces off a test rib and tasted.  Not ready? Back in for 30 minutes and test again.  I did that a couple of times until I got melt in my mouth rib meat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
Bruce,

I usually only brine country ribs for 3-4 hours.  Personally, I go to around 190 on them, but have pulled them at 175 too.  I think if you brined them, and they got tough, they were most-likely overdone.  They stay juicy and tender up to the 190 range.  I find 175 too little for country ribs; great for a sliced pork butt, but leaves ribs a little tough.  I think mid 180s to 190 is perfect, at least for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
Thank you all for your replies!  I will do this again, and again, until I get it right.
Bruce in Springfield, IL

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
Sounds like temp and time are OK. Did you have a water pan in the smoker? I wonder about the brining time..........
Scott-I didn't have a water pan, but won't smoke again without one.  I just ran across the beginner's guide Tony posted and that was one item mentioned.  It also sounds like I over-brined too.
Bruce in Springfield, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »
Experience doing it is the best teacher, Bruce!  Now you have a little more skin in the game of BBQ! 8)   We're always learning, which is the fun part!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
County-style ribs are a challenge for even an experienced cook. Many have mentioned on this forum, that they are from the shoulder butt, but they are really boneless rib chops from the shoulder end of the loin. From Cook's Country:

"These ribs are made from halved or butterflied rib chops from the blade (shoulder) end of the tenderloin. They contain both dark meat from the shoulder and light meat from the loin."

Both light and dark meat in the same cut is what makes them so difficult. Shorter cook is better for one, low and slow for the other. You kind of can't win totally, but might be able to come up with a decent compromise.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »
"These ribs are made from halved or butterflied rib chops from the blade (shoulder) end of the tenderloin. They contain both dark meat from the shoulder and light meat from the loin."

In a perfect world, yes, but not common in my neck of the woods.  What I usually find are "Pork Shoulder Country-Style Ribs," which are, indeed, a band saw-sliced Boston butt.  I have seen every piece of the blade bone from the butt in the package.  I also asked the meat cutter at my local grocery store about it, and he confirmed that it was a sectioned Boston butt.

I think to be technically-correct, butchers are supposed to label the country ribs you referred to as "pork loin country-style," but not certain.  From what I've read, as country-style ribs became more popular, butchers pushed farther into the shoulder because the meat texture was similar.

So, depending on your neck of the woods, folks can get either/or, and while similar, you are right that they are not the same.  Good catch, Kari!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »
What I usually find are "Pork Shoulder Country-Style Ribs," which are, indeed, a band saw-sliced Boston butt.  I have seen every piece of the blade bone from the butt in the package.  I also asked the meat cutter at my local grocery store about it, and he confirmed that it was a sectioned Boston butt.

I think to be technically-correct, butchers are supposed to label the country ribs you referred to as "pork loin country-style," but not certain.  From what I've read, as country-style ribs became more popular, butchers pushed farther into the shoulder because the meat texture was similar.

Ha! Good point. They can charge more for shoulder if they call it "country-style ribs". I have gotten some around here plenty of times that definitely looked like blade bone. There outta be a law... ;)
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
Costco's CSRs are the same price per pound as the butts. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
I think they cut butts up for CSRs because lots of folks are scared of full Boston butts.  CSRs or "blade steaks," as they're called some places, is more marketable to the masses who don't practice our art. ;)   Not so much about profitability as it is sellability.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »
Not so much about profitability as it is sellability.

I think you nailed it Tony!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:14 PM »
Thanks Kari!  Never really thought about it much, until your post!
Tony from NW Arkansas