Author Topic: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker  (Read 48987 times)

TheLocNar

Re: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
What a great update! Still don't regret my analog #2 purchase somewhat recently. With any kind of technology there will always be the next best thing.

No way I'd be able to tackle the retrofit myself with a sad lack of tools.

Looking forward to the reviews!
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
Jeff - you have a great smoker!  The 2D/3D option is great, but it will NOT produce any finer food than you can in your stock #2.  It fills a need for the BBQ geeks out there, who love the control, but it doesn't make it "better," by any means! (My words, not yours).  Thanks for the compliments, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheLocNar

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »
Jeff - you have a great smoker!  The 2D/3D option is great, but it will NOT produce any finer food than you can in your stock #2.  It fills a need for the BBQ geeks out there, who love the control, but it doesn't make it "better," by any means! (My words, not yours).  Thanks for the compliments, though!

Exactly! I'm not one of those guys that has to control the temp exactly. Not at all. So long as the food times out how I want it, I could care less how it happens (so long as I know how it happens lol).

Don't regret my decision at all. The way I see it. Keep it simple. ;)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »
I typically am kind of a computer geek and am pretty analytical. But, for some reason I have never really felt the drive to get an Auber.

However, depending on the price and ease of install for the retrofits that are supposed to be coming I am going to be in a quandary about whether it really means enough to me to add this on. The cost/benefit analysis will ensue. :)

If I would have recently purchased a new smoker without it, I honestly would not be that bummed. Like Tony said, the Auber users are not going to be able to produce any better product.

The key benefit as I see it is to be able to schedule the program to make the smoke for set times and temperatures and move to resting mode at the end of a smoke to make it even more "Lazy Q".

I don't worry about smoke box temp anymore and only probe it if I am doing a single piece of meat and have an unused probe from my Maverick. The swings just don't bother me and don't affect my smokes.

The closer temps do have a benefit when smoking fish and jerky where you need to keep temps below certain temps. But that is the only time where the temp swings could be a problem.

The bottom line is that both the traditional models and the new "D" models are top of the line and really beat up on the competition.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »
I find it both curious and interesting that owners of old models are considering retrofitting the integral Auber vs. the plug & play version solely on perceived moisture resistance.  The cost differential for that upgrade just doesn't make sense to me. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
I find it both curious and interesting that owners of old models are considering retrofitting the integral Auber vs. the plug & play version solely on perceived moisture resistance.  The cost differential for that upgrade just doesn't make sense to me. 

I don't know if it has been said that anyone is "solely" considering the retrofit because of moisture resistance.

And it is not "perceived" at all. It is a fact that the new integrated module is waterproof and the add-on Auber is not (without some type of addon cover).

I think the cleanness of the install and not having to have an extra piece to worry about is a benefit too.

And as far as I know we don't know the cost yet for the retrofit. So, I am not sure how you can make that decision already.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »
Cost, anyway you slice it, an Auber is going to be around $200.  The new SS lid will easily be in the $100 neighborhood.  But that is just my opinion.  Add other misc. parts and one is more than half way to a new model. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »
You may be right. I'm just taking a wait and see attitude and will figure out what I'm going to do when I know how much the retrofit will cost and what other things I could do with that money. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Cost, anyway you slice it, an Auber is going to be around $200.  The new SS lid will easily be in the $100 neighborhood.  But that is just my opinion.  Add other misc. parts and one is more than half way to a new model.

Steve hasn't released the price yet, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »

Steve hasn't released the price yet, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)
That ought to get the guys excited. 

va_rider

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
So...  Any time frame for the retrofit kits? I'm tempted to get an Auber...  But don't want to do so if the retrofit kits will be out anytime soon. I notice that the new models of smokers are on the website, however the #4 is no longer on the website. Since it shipped with an Auber anyhow, is it just being held back until the 4D model is available? Just curious there, I'm not planning on buying a #4.

But...yeah... Looking to upgrade my #2... Need a test dummy for the retrofit kits?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
I am still on the fence on the idea of either buying the new version of the smoker with the PID or retrofitting mine.

I like the idea that I can get the smoker past 250 degrees with the PID (I would like to try some briskets in the 275 degrees range). the PID.

On the downside, it is another electronic part that in time will fail. Without the PID, cost to keep the smoker is pretty cheap.

Right now I am in move mode (looking to relocated in the next few months), so for me I will wait and see how everyone likes the new model!

Greg

va_rider

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »
The increased temperature appeals to me also. The sales page on the 2D/3D says that it can go to 300°...that has me intrigued. 300 might be enough to get crisp sausage skin and chicken skin.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
On the downside, it is another electronic part that in time will fail. Without the PID, cost to keep the smoker is pretty cheap.

Since it's now an SI controller, it's covered under the 3 year warranty. :)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
The increased temperature appeals to me also. The sales page on the 2D/3D says that it can go to 300°...that has me intrigued. 300 might be enough to get crisp sausage skin and chicken skin.

Actually rated to 375 now.
Tony from NW Arkansas