Author Topic: Spatchcock chicken in the model 3  (Read 3565 times)

IRGoode

Spatchcock chicken in the model 3
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Just received and seasoned the model 3 yesterday. Smoked 2 spatchcocked chickens today. Brined for 3.5 hrs in Tony's (DM's) brine recipe. Used Tony Chachere's for a rub with 3 oz cherry wood. Took 5 hours to get to 165 IT but that was my fault. I started at 225 instead of 250. Finished in the oven on 450 for 10 minutes and the skin was good and the meat was great. Thanks to everyone posting their info and recipes. Helped me out big time! I think I read most of the posts on here prior to purchasing this smoker. Glad I did!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Spatchcock chicken in the model 3
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »
Welcome from ND!

I read ALL of the posts before I got my #3. But there were not nearly as many posts back then. So you have really been reading. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:17:46 PM »
Way to go, Bob!  Glad to have you with us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »
I think I read almost all of the posts too before I purchased mine. I read the forum every night for over 2 months. I was planning to wait until Spring to buy the smoker, and go see Steve and the SIs at the Deer & Turkey show in April...but couldn't wait, too excited, so I ended up purchasing in January! Glad I did! Turns out winter in Wisconsin is a great time to smoke in the SI. Welcome! You will love it.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

IRGoode

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks folks. I plan to do a turkey breast next. Tony, will that same brine work for turkey? Sure was good on the chicken.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
I'm not Tony. ;) But yes, the same brine will work for all types of poultry. However, with the larger size of Turkey verses Chicken, you will need to brine a little longer than you did for your Chicken.

I am definitely different than others here in that I brine all my birds be it pieces or whole overnight and don't think they are too salty. But, you will find some here that wouldn't dream of brining chicken longer than 4-6 hours.

I use a pretty common brine which is 1 Cup Salt and 1 Cup Sugar to 1 Gallon of water along with 2-3 Tablespoons of whatever rub/seasoning I will be using on the prepped bird.

I am not sure if I was just brought up on saltier brined/smoked chicken or not, but they always taste fine to me and don't taste any different than the smoked poultry I have eaten all my life.

I would say, for those that are new to smoking poultry and may be less tolerant of salt, to stick to a 6-8 hour brine for Turkey and see how you like it and increase/decrease the brining time from there.

Good luck on your Turkey. Thanksgiving is coming fast. Many will do a test bird in advance of Thanksgiving if you are cooking for a larger group to prevent any surprises.

UPDATE: I originally misread that you were moving from Turkey to Chicken, so I revised my post to reflect that you are going from Chicken TO Turkey. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:45:04 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
Tony, will that same brine work for turkey? Sure was good on the chicken.

Absolutely, Bob!  That's the only brine I use on all poultry.  I think the orange juice and rosemary is what makes the flavor "pop" on all poultry.  One time, I substituted pineapple juice for chicken, and it was also very good.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

IRGoode

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info guys. I have a few more questions but I think I need to start a new post so I'm not mixing topics. Thanks again!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!