Author Topic: Seasoning question  (Read 3575 times)

grogorat

Seasoning question
« on: October 23, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
I've read in the sticky about placing 3 chunks spaced out to identify the hot spot in the smoke box during the initial seasoning of the #2 but I don't recall if the hot spot is the preferred location to place the wood; would it be more beneficial to put it near it rather than on top to maximize the smolder time when I'm actually smoking meat?
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

smokeasaurus

Re: Seasoning question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
It might not smolder much. These smokers are oxygen starved so you really want to find the 'hot' spot and see how that works for you.................
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

grogorat

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »
Ok, will do.  Thanks for the quick reply.
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »
Gary,
I'll answer it a little differently and say to try and stay away from the hot spot.  The hot spot usually tends to create combustion, which is bad.  There are usually spots in the box where the wood will combust and spots where the wood doesn't fully char.  Just learn your box after a couple of smokes and place your wood accordingly. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Gary,
I'll answer it a little differently and say to try and stay away from the hot spot.  The hot spot usually tends to create combustion, which is bad.  There are usually spots in the box where the wood will combust and spots where the wood doesn't fully char.  Just learn your box after a couple of smokes and place your wood accordingly.

+1. Find the spot where the wood doesn't look like gray ash, but looks like hunks of black charcoal at the end of the cook. That being said, I don't really worry about placement of wood in the firebox of these things. It turns out great either way...spread your wood out, and you'll be fine.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

grogorat

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »
Gary,

+1. Find the spot where the wood doesn't look like gray ash, but looks like hunks of black charcoal at the end of the cook. That being said, I don't really worry about placement of wood in the firebox of these things. It turns out great either way...spread your wood out, and you'll be fine.

Thanks, Kari
After the initial seasoning, the piece nearest the door ended up like charcoal; the middle piece and the one at the back ended up as ash so I will try placing the wood near the front for my next smoke.
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2