Author Topic: Pork Belly 1st attempt  (Read 19521 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Belly 1st attempt
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
After rinsing I can put the belly in a container of cold water and let it set for an hour or two.
Please don't do that, just give it a good rise and pat it dry.

I cold smoke without a plate because I'm to cheap to buy one and I only cold smoke when it is cold out. I don't add ice and just keep the temp at 80.You don't have to do your cold smoking all at once you can do it in batches returning the meat to the fridge between sessions. I know some guys that do 4 hour sessions every day for three or four days.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Eleets2144

• Model #2
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
Question for the experts since this thread is active.  I have some belly curing now that will be ready Saturday.  However, I won't be able to cold smoke for another 7 days, what should I do after removing the cure and liquid?
Chris from Chicago

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Rinse it well pat it dry and leave it uncovered and unwrapped in the fridge on a wire rack.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 12:01:56 AM »
Hey Chris, I have also seen some people will wrap the belly loosely with wax paper and place in the fridge. But, if I was you would follow Brian's suggestion. Just tell the family not to bother it. Or have the better half to smoke it for you.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Bebe

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »
I know some guys that do 4 hour sessions every day for three or four days.
ingenious!!!
Thank you!
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

elkins20

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
Update, tomorrow will pull it from the fridge and give it a good rinsing and back in the fridge on a wire rack. Will also take a photo, but it has been in the fridge curing for 6 days now.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Eleets2144

• Model #2
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:09 AM »
Hey Chris, I have also seen some people will wrap the belly loosely with wax paper and place in the fridge. But, if I was you would follow Brian's suggestion. Just tell the family not to bother it. Or have the better half to smoke it for you.

15-20 pounds are resting quietly in the garage/beer fridge.  My wife looked at me funny when she saw all of it yesterday....
Chris from Chicago

elkins20

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »

15-20 pounds are resting quietly in the garage/beer fridge.  My wife looked at me funny when she saw all of it yesterday....

Hey Chris, I must be living in the wrong city, where on earth did you get 15#'s of pork belly? I need to check out a couple of Asian grocery stores and a costco. But, the place that I found the 2, 3# packages was a speciality grocery store.

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
Hi Everyone, Pulled the belly out of the cure/brine at 12:00pm, this was about the time I put it in the brine 7 days ago. I rinsed it all over for a few minutes and then patted it dry with some paper towels. Now is back in the fridge on a rack. I will start the smoke tomorrow night after it cools down. We are supposed to have cool nights this week ranging in the mid 50's. I think can do the smoke at 90 degrees also going to add a 2 liter bottle of ice to the #3. Will be using about 5 oz of maple wood. Also the belly was pretty stiff when I removed it from the cure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:11:28 PM by elkins20 »

Bebe

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
good looking slab!
Yes, it's suppose to be much stiffer, that's good. Maybe you wanna cut a tiny bit, fry it to check if too salty.
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

elkins20

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
good looking slab!
Yes, it's suppose to be much stiffer, that's good. Maybe you wanna cut a tiny bit, fry it to check if too salty.

Hey Pete, if I tried a sample am afraid would end up eating the whole thing. I have a fondness for bacon. Also have a bunch of tomatoes that I need to juice and cook to can for sauce. And I hear several calling my name saying it is time for bacon and tomato sandwiches.  :o  :-\

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
good looking slab!

Hey Pete, if I tried a sample am afraid would end up eating the whole thing. I have a fondness for bacon. Also have a bunch of tomatoes that I need to juice and cook to can for sauce. And I hear several calling my name saying it is time for bacon and tomato sandwiches.  :o  :-\

Sounds like an excellent problem to have :)

Greg

Eleets2144

• Model #2
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »

Hey Chris, I must be living in the wrong city, where on earth did you get 15#'s of pork belly? I need to check out a couple of Asian grocery stores and a costco. But, the place that I found the 2, 3# packages was a speciality grocery store.

I've picked it up in a few different places in Chicago.  One is a cheap wholesale butcher shop (its an interesting experience, you walk into the cooler, put on plastic gloves, and grab and bag whatever meat you want), I think it was $2.99 a pound, skin on.  Costco is walking distance from my place and they started carrying pork belly earlier this summer, $2.39 skin off.  The Costco bellies have looked amazing, but I'm just now smoking my first batch as I've run out of bacon from my first attempt.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:08:28 PM by Eleets2144 »
Chris from Chicago

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished smoked bacon, Bill!  Looking good, brother! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »
Hey Everyone, Woke up this morning to a crisp 55 degrees and thought this would be a good day to smoke the bacon. I am using 2 oz of hickory chips in an aluminum boat, 2 oz of maple block and a couple of left over pieces of wood from a previous smoke. I also added a 2 liter bottle of ice just above the smoke box. Will do 5 hrs. smoke at box temp. of 90, then up to 200 for an internal temp. of 150. Was going to do an 8 hrs. cold smoke but did not want to stay up that late last night.