Author Topic: Hello from Kentucky Newbie  (Read 3003 times)

Stonewall

• Jim
Hello from Kentucky Newbie
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:43 PM »
Received my #3 back before Christmas.  Seasoned it as soon as I got it.  Sat in the garage for over six months.  Added permanent probe w/Auber & bypass switch about a month ago.  Autotuned a couple of weeks ago.  Had first brisket for supper this evening.  First time I had ever smoked anything.  Why did I wait until I was 50 for my first smoke, and why did I wait over seven months to use it for the first time?  This is truly one of life's great pleasures!  Had a 6-1/2 lb. Choice Angus brisket from Kroger.  Rubbed with a locally-sold rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  Put it in this morning at 225 for 9-1/2 hrs.  Removed, wrapped, and allowed to rest for two hours.  Looked and tasted great, but a little too done, although my 15-year-old son said that it was "awesome."  Not bad for my first try.  I'm going to keep notes on my smokes to keep track of everything and try to improve as I go.  Thanks for all the great info in the forum that helped me so much.  I promise it won't sit around anymore!  Thanks, again.  Jim
Jim from NW Kentucky
Smokin-It #3, Auber PID, Wife, 3 Sons, 1 Daughter

Tyarra

Re: Hello from Kentucky Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
Welcome, Jim, from Texas!

I can't even begin to answer those questions, but you have a LOT of catching up to do!  ;D  And, you've got a great smoker to do it with!

If you don't already, get a remote-read probe thermometer, to check when your meat is done - every hunk of meat is different, and with the SI, you really do need to cook to temperature on the cuts like brisket.  Your brisket may have been done before you pulled it.

And pictures!  We like pictures!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
Hey Jim, sounds like you did a fine job especially if the family enjoyed it. I have a question for you, what was the Internal Temp. according to the auber? I agree with Leah, in addition to the Auber I have a maverick 732 that I use to monitor the Internal Temp. and a ThermoWorks model RT301WA to test the meat at several places b/4 pulling. That way am sure the meat is done. Good luck with your future smokes.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
Jim,

Welcome to Saint Augustine and also for been so patient, there is no way I could have waited even close to that long without trying out the smoker. Now that you have the first smoke under your belt, weekly load up that bad baby turn out some great food.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Jim!  Looks like you have found the power of "Lazy Q"...I see many more smokes in your future. Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Stonewall

• Jim
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »
I have the Maverick, but I didn't use it.  Would it be better to use the Auber meat probe and program it for temp instead of time?
Jim from NW Kentucky

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
I have the Maverick, but I didn't use it.  Would it be better to use the Auber meat probe and program it for temp instead of time?

Hi Jim,

Absolutely!  That's what the Auber is great at.  You must monitor internal temp of the meat (except for things like ribs); always cook by internal temp, not time!  Every piece cooks a little different.  Next time, use this program, after you insert your meat probe (Probe 2) into the meat:

C01  225   E01 f     F01  195
C02 through C06 - all "zeros," set to time for E step.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Stonewall

• Jim
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  Thawing out a pork shoulder for the next smoke.
Jim from NW Kentucky

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
Hey Jim, there is a smoking guide that Tony and others compiled. It consists of meats, times, temps., and woods. It is very helpful.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0
It is in pdf form and can be downloaded and posted on your computer. I find this a great help, especially if looking how to cook a particular meat.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Stonewall

• Jim
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:10 AM »
Thanks, Bill, I appreciate it.
Jim from NW Kentucky

drains

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »
Welcome from Texas Jim! The pork shoulder or "butt" is a good smoke starting out because you about have to be trying to mess it up. Plus all that fat just seasons your smoker that much better. Just monitor the internal temp of the meat and your home free. Happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3