Author Topic: Spatchcocked Chickens  (Read 3992 times)

Tyarra

Spatchcocked Chickens
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
We have done other things before this, just mostly repeats.  We did another salmon filet, and it turned out just as good that time as the first - the exception to that particular smoke was that I got in the cooking mats, so the edges didn't curl down around the rack.  :D

So, we did a couple of chickens the other day (okay, it was a week ago...) - spatchcocked them, put them into a brine for ~3 hours, then rubbed with our general-purpose rub, and into the smoker.

I'd read where others have had trouble with their Maverick, and this particular smoke, ours went wonky.  I'd anticipated about 2-2.5 hours worth of smoke, and didn't hear the alarm around that time ... didn't think too much about it, but at about 3 hours, I went to check.  The remote portion was showing   "--" for the current temp!  On both probes.  So, went outside, to check the reading out there, and it was about 175°!   So.... I decided it was done ... and hoped it wasn't over-done!

For brining, I've got some stock pots, of various sizes, so I've had the right size for whatever I've brined so far.  This one held the two chickens nicely!  A regular plate held them down.

Cooked at 250°, 2.25 ounces of cherry wood chunks, ended up cooking for just over 3 hours.

Didn't do anything about the skin, but it didn't really need it - while not crispy, the rub kept it from getting rubbery - at least, I guess it was the rub. :)

So, it was definitely not over-done, juicy, tender and just the right amount of smoke.  Cooked extra, to use in gumbo!

So, things on the "Let's try this soon" list:  Bratwurst.  Pork chops.  Catfish.  (Not in any particular sort of order.)

And, pictures below!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Spatchcocked Chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »
Looks tasty, Leah!  Haven't seen you in awhile!  Glad you're back. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tyarra

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Glad to be back!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »
Looks really good, job!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
The chicken looks perfect to me, Leah!  Well done!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
The chicken looks perfect to me, Leah!  Well done!

+1
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Limey

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »
Hi Leah, welcome back. The bratwurst  and catfish sound interesting.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Do this today!!!  Little excited!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber