Author Topic: "Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!  (Read 20743 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: "Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »
Ribs are done!  I did something I never do this time - I sauced them at 4 hours with my St Louis sauce.  At 5:30, I pulled them.  They weren't quite as done as I like them, but I was hungry!  Good pullback on the thinner ends, but the thick ends were still not as "fall off the bone" as I like them.

Tony, am I reading this right? These baby backs were in for 6 1/2 hours (11:00 -5:30) and still not done as you like them? That seems like a long time to me for baby backs. I usually cook mine for 5-5 1/2 hours ("no peeking" of course.)

Sorry the way that read - I pulled them 5:30 into the smoke, not "at" 5:30. ;)   Coincidence on the time!  These were really meaty ribs, and could have used another 1/2 hour.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »
"Sorry the way that read - I pulled them 5:30 into the smoke, not "at" 5:30. ;)   Coincidence on the time!  These were really meaty ribs, and could have used another 1/2 hour."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ah! Now that makes more sense.  8)
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

1stlink

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
Congrats Tony, looks great and I'll be watching for that 1st packer..

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
Thanks Ralph!  Hopefully, one's in the plans for this weekend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »
Hey Tony, Looks really good, wondering when you added the sauce if bumping the temp up would put a glaze on them. Rather than putting on a char grill to do a reverse sear? Not sure if you get it down your way, but I am stuck on Gates original sauce. As is very close to what my Mom used to make and she used Maul's BBQ sauce as a base. I have her recipe but cannot get some of the ingredients she used.  :(
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
Hey Tony, I like your idea of the plasti-dip for the top. I have been debating how to seal the wood on mine.

Couple of questions for you:

1. How did you attach the top to the cart?

2. I am guessing you bolted the #3 onto the top and then somehow attached the top to the cart?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
Hey Tony, I have been thinking about Rickne #3 for sale. Just really cannot justify it as mostly just cooking/smoking for one. Also right now the budget is kind of tight. But, I remember him saying for the smoker and cart would be $350 and that would be a steal. I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Just looking for a second opinion. As others have said is better to have too much room and not need it than to need more room and not have it. I think I will talk to Rick some more to see what the $350 includes, if it also includes the cart may go for it. Any thoughts since you have both now?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
Hey Tony, I have been thinking about Rickne #3 for sale. Just really cannot justify it as mostly just cooking/smoking for one. Also right now the budget is kind of tight. But, I remember him saying for the smoker and cart would be $350 and that would be a steal. I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Just looking for a second opinion. As others have said is better to have too much room and not need it than to need more room and not have it. I think I will talk to Rick some more to see what the $350 includes, if it also includes the cart may go for it. Any thoughts since you have both now?

Bill, if you can swing it, it's a great deal!  It wasn't about how much I wanted to smoke, but how long (length)!  I wanted room to do full packer briskets and rib racks, and maybe a beef clod (if I can ever find one!).

Not sure about the bumping temp on the sauced ribs - I'm new to it!  My sauce isn't real thick, and it became sticky, but not glazed.  I'm OK with that...just added a different flavor than normal!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:16:11 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
Hey Tony, I like your idea of the plasti-dip for the top. I have been debating how to seal the wood on mine.

Couple of questions for you:

1. How did you attach the top to the cart?

2. I am guessing you bolted the #3 onto the top and then somehow attached the top to the cart?

Gregg, I pre-drilled holes around the perimeter of the top, and a couple in the middle.  Then, laid the top down (bottom side up), and put the upside down cart on it, centered, and used #10 x 3/8" stainless pan head screws.  Worked great.  Bolted the smoker to the cart (see pics above).
Tony from NW Arkansas

KAG

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
Arrived......doing burn in presently

DivotMaker

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »
Nice!  Big Congrats to you, KAG! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
Tony, why is the top of this smoker rust looking, or a strange color?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
Tony, why is the top of this smoker rust looking, or a strange color?
Reflection from the house siding.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Well that makes sense now, at first thought it was a weird color on top of the smoker. Thanks Dave

elkins20

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
Hey Tony, After talking to Rick, we decided on a nice price for everything, $475. I used some birthday money I had stashed, so out of pocket was just 375. But, took everything off Ricks hands. Will get unit tomorrow afternoon. I am really happy.  A large part also was your advice on the Auber.