Author Topic: Have the day off so I'll be smoking jerky today  (Read 3960 times)

allmann

Have the day off so I'll be smoking jerky today
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
I ground up a bunch of venison, 71/2lbs to be exact, I used High Mtn Sweet and Spicy. Mixed it all up and let it sit for about 34hrs. Then piped it out in to snack sticks using my jerky cannon, I got 4 trays full. I had to jerry rig the jerky dryer as the power wire inside the unit was broke off at the soldering point.

I started it at 1130, I'll let it smoke for an hr before I put the jerky dryer on it and then figure another 5-6 hrs. Hopefully it comes out great.

Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Have the day off so I'll be smoking jerky today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Bet that'll be great, Kevin!  Sorry you had to rewire your fan! >:(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »
Update  fan is still working.  At 530 and I broke one of the sticks open and its still moist. I had it set on 160 and it hovers around 135 I bumped it up to 200 and it jumped to 175 so i dropped it to 175 and its hover at 156 so I will leave it there. I have been out all day so I am going by what my wife said when she periodically checked it.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

allmann

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
Finally 1/4 to 8 and i got the consistency and texture I was looking for.  Now they will be left to cool then cut and packaged up.  Ive come to the realization that the temp stays around 20 below the set temp. When I turn it up it will shoot up but then settles back to stay steady about 20 below set temp.

I think I will have to see if the control needs to be adjusted.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Hey Kevin, that looks really good, would 160 be a good temp. to cook/smoke at for jerky and rounds?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

allmann

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I am brand new to smoking jerky(I have always used a dehydrator or oven in the past), but from everything I have read you don't want it above 160 or it will be cooking instead of drying.

I do have to say this is the best ground jerky I have ever made though
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »
One thing you cannot beat deer meet for jerky. My Dad uses the flat nozzle but just does it in a dehydrator. This looks really good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
Hey Kevin, that looks really good, would 160 be a good temp. to cook/smoke at for jerky and rounds?

Bill, if you cure your meat (which you absolutely should), you can smoke/dry at 140.  You have the luxury of the Auber, so you don't have to worry about the temp spikes.  Low-temp smoking is one place they really excel.  The idea is to dry the meat, not cook it...160 will cook.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Good job Bill! They look delicious!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3