Author Topic: Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's  (Read 13969 times)

KY Smoke

Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Ok Boys, not sure if this is a good idea or not but.....thinking about trying to smoke/cook some thick cut pork chops this weekend.  From what I've read so far, it's pretty tough to screw anything up in these smokers.  Although, I have seen that some have accomplished it.  ;)   There may be some guidance listed in all of these pork posts, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. 

Since its pork, I'm assuming brining is preferred.  Since thickness is much less than a butt, brine about half the time or 6 hours or more?  Looking to tenderize them but not destroy them. 

I'm assuming that wood weight would be more like what you use for ribs, at 3-4 oz.  Since they're chops, looking at Apple wood and will use Apple
Juice in the in the moisture pan. 

Rub will be my standard pork rub recipe but thinking of adding cinnamon to it as well.  Has anyone done this and were there any "negatives" to doing it?  Can't imagine that there would be, but want to verify with your experiences.   

Lastly, shoot for a specified internal temp or treat them like ribs.....set time and no peeky?  Again, want them tender, and not over done any dry.  Would even rather error to the side of pink, since they are going to be good chops. 

Looking for any guidance or reassurance that you guys can offer up.  Thanks in advance.  Jeff

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
Jeff,

I would brine for 4 hours or so, the wood amount 1.5 oz. - 2 oz. max.

Also for thick chops, use a probe and cook until at least 150 degrees.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »
I have done tipple thick chops, brined overnight. Rest the chops in the fridge from morning till smoke time. Season with your favorite pork rub and smoke to 145 internal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
My approach:
Brine
Butterfly
Stuff with sausage stuffing
Rub
And smoke to 145 in center of stuffing.  Usually takes between 1 hour and an hour and a half.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
Wow Dave.  Those look amazing!  I'm drooling on my iPad
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

KY Smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
Ok Dave, I'm with Charlie!  New idea now for the chops this weekend!  :P   Stuffing recipe in "Sides" or your personal concoction?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
How thick are your chops, Jeff?  Here's what I do for country-style ribs (sliced Boston butt, about 1" thick):

Brined Country-Style Ribs

Pretty similar meat, but may have to back-off the brine time a bit for the thickness.  Also, chops can be pulled at 145-150 internal temp.  I go to the 190s on shoulder ribs because, well, it's pork shoulder!  Chops are loin meat, so much more tender.  Hope that gives you some ideas!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
All good ideas guys.  Gives me a couple of different directions to go with them.

Thickness on chops are around an 1-1.5" thick Tony.  Special cut from the butcher in town.  Awesome chops, but want to do something different with them, and preferably something that involves the #3!  ;)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »
Ok Dave, I'm with Charlie!  New idea now for the chops this weekend!  :P   Stuffing recipe in "Sides" or your personal concoction?
1 box of stove top stuffing and 1 pound of browned Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage for the stuffing mix.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

KY Smoke

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:28 PM »
Thanks for your stuffing recipe Dave.  But remembered I have a sausage stuffed mushroom recipe with cream cheese that I think I'll modify a bit and use.

Button mushrooms, cream cheese, sausage, graded onion, and Panko Bread crumbs.   Instead of putting the stuffing in the mushroom caps, dice up the mushrooms and blend into stuffing mixture. 

This recipe is great as is, but should be awesome stuffed in Butterflied Pork Chops!  :P  Thanks again for the idea Dave!   

Will be sure to add pics and details on Saturday at some point.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
With 1 - 1.5" chops, Jeff, you definitely want to probe them for internal temp.  Those sound great, so you sure don't want to overcook them!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
I pull my thick cut pork chops at 135 and rest them. During the rest they will rise to 140 which kills Trichinosis. Granted, these are "ragged edge" but I think most people overcook most things (Q excepted). In any event trichinosis is pretty irrelevant these days-in the last year that there was data there were 12 cases of trichinosis in the US of which 9 were from wild boar and 2 were from backyard pigs. only one case was unaccounted for. Bottom line, if you buy your pork from a reputable supplier forget about trichinosis. BTW to put this in context around 60 to 80 people get killed by lightening every year in the US.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Carp210

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
I'll be doing stuffed pork chops too.  Amazing photos Dave.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

KY Smoke

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Agreed guys, IT probe set to stun (or 135F) it is!  ;D  There will not be any over cooking of these babies this weekend!  Thanks again.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:49:05 PM »
Agreed guys, IT probe set to stun (or 135F) it is!  ;D  There will not be any over cooking of these babies this weekend!  Thanks again.

Apologies to Roger, but minimum 145 on pork, for me.  That's the USDA #, and one that I agree with.  It's still slightly pink, at 145.  Can't do medium-rare pork! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas