Author Topic: First Brisket over the weekend. What did I do wrong?  (Read 4375 times)

jdwoods

First Brisket over the weekend. What did I do wrong?
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
I purchased an 8lb choice brisket flat. My butcher refers to them as "first cut". The brisket was nice and flexible, had good red color, and a nice layer of white fat.

As soon as I got home I rubbed the baby down with fresh ground pepper and salt (50/50 dalmation). I then let it sit in the fridge for about 6 hours.

I took out the brisket and let it come up to temperature for about 2 hours before throwing in the smoker. In the smoker, I poured a loaf pan on the bottom with some water and beer. I kicked the smoker at on at 11:30PM. I let it go until 1PM the next day. 13.5hrs. I pulled the brisket 20 minutes after it had reached IT 194F.

I double wrapped in heavy duty foil. Wrapped in a very thick blanket and placed in the oven for 4 hours.

This is where I believe I may have gone wrong: I unwrapped from the blanket and key the brisket in the foil, put the oven on "warm mode" at 170 and allowed the brisket to remain in the oven while it preheated and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Brisket flavor was great. Great seasoning, not too smokey... overall, very nice... Unfortunately, the darn thing was a bit dry. Any ideas as to why this may have happened?

Also, a couple other questions: Do any of you guys actually get full packers in your #2s? Also, does it really matter to use kosher salt vs sea salt?
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: First Brisket over the weekend. What did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »
I purchased an 8lb choice brisket flat. My butcher refers to them as "first cut". The brisket was nice and flexible, had good red color, and a nice layer of white fat.

As soon as I got home I rubbed the baby down with fresh ground pepper and salt (50/50 dalmation). I then let it sit in the fridge for about 6 hours.

I took out the brisket and let it come up to temperature for about 2 hours before throwing in the smoker. In the smoker, I poured a loaf pan on the bottom with some water and beer. I kicked the smoker at on at 11:30PM. I let it go until 1PM the next day. 13.5hrs. I pulled the brisket 20 minutes after it had reached IT 194F.

I double wrapped in heavy duty foil. Wrapped in a very thick blanket and placed in the oven for 4 hours.

This is where I believe I may have gone wrong: I unwrapped from the blanket and key the brisket in the foil, put the oven on "warm mode" at 170 and allowed the brisket to remain in the oven while it preheated and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Brisket flavor was great. Great seasoning, not too smokey... overall, very nice... Unfortunately, the darn thing was a bit dry. Any ideas as to why this may have happened?

Also, a couple other questions: Do any of you guys actually get full packers in your #2s? Also, does it really matter to use kosher salt vs sea salt?

JD,

There are some brisket experts here that I am sure will jump in.

I have a #2 also and just did an 8 lb flat, but I brined it (12 hours) and then injected it. Since it's for dinner tonight, I am not sure the outcome, but will let you know. My brisket finished at 10:00 this morning, so I treated just like the port butts I have been doing. Remove at 195 degrees, wrapped in foil (add some Au Jus) and then back in the smoker set to 140 degrees. I will pull one hour or so prior to dinner and place in a cooler that has been lined with towels.

On the salt question, kosher salt vs sea salt weigh different. So in my case I like to use very fine sea salt instead of kosher. Instead of 1 cup kosher for a brine I use 3/4 cup for the same amount of salt.

Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
JD, based on what you posted, I would guess that the biggest change you should consider is to brine overnight and then inject. It will give a better result.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »
If your butcher gave you a trimmed flat he tied one arm behind your back.  Flats are very lean and very difficult to keep moist.  Brining and injecting a flat is critical in my opinion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
Ed does brisket useing a similar technique. He may have som good input for you.

I dont fully understand what occured after you pulled it from the smoker. Once at desired temp 195 to 200, all you needed to do was double wrap in foil & put in a cooler with towels filling any voids, or reduce temp to 140 in your #2 & leave the door open until temp drops & put back in wrapped in foil until ready. I dont trust my oven for these low temps so that 170 could have been alot higher.

I cooked a 12lb packer in my #2 last week. I always brine & inject brisket. It came out beautifully. However, It could not have been any larger or I would have had to cut it in half.

Believe me, that machine of yours will produce the finest brisket you've eaten. It all about the technique you use & the preperation.

Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Carp210

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
Jd,
I also have a #2 and the last one I did I trimmed the ends and ground up for burgers.  I have one in the freezer that is another packer but select grade that I plan to brine and inject.  Instead of trimming it or cutting it in half I am going to try to use butcher twine to put a arch in it and hopefully when it is done it will be laying flat on the grate.  I would much rather cook it whole.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
JD,

The guys are so right...the brisket flat is one of the hardest cuts of meat to keep moist!  Unfortunately, it doesn't tend to be something you can just "rub and smoke," like a Boston butt.  They usually require a little more human intervention in the prep!  Dave's certainly right about them trimming the fat cap off - the butcher did you a disservice with that.  Like many here now, I brine briskets overnight, which really aids in moisture retention.  Injection adds a flavor profile, and a little moisture, but brining is the real key, imo.

I have done up to 12 lb packers in my #2.  The ends may curl up on the back and door at first, but they shrink fast enough that they soon fit fine.

Also, your briskie's ride in the oven probably did more harm than good.  When you pull it out of the smoker, double-wrap and place in the cooler with towels.  It'll stay hot for several hours, and you wont dry it out.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
JD,

Just wanted to post back and let you know how my first brisket turned out in the #2 as promised.

As I said earlier I brined the brisket and then injected, I believe this made all the difference in taste and the end result.

Give it another go (brine and inject) and you will be really happy with the results.

Greg 

jdwoods

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
Thank you for all the input guys.

Greg, your brisket looks nuts! Congrats on a successful cook!
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
Thank you for all the input guys.

Greg, your brisket looks nuts! Congrats on a successful cook!

A bit too much #1 in the brine, but the taste was excellent.

Live to smoke another day :)

Greg