Author Topic: Recipe for Moinks  (Read 6297 times)

RG

Recipe for Moinks
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
I searched through the "Beef" area here and didn't see moinks listed so since I just made some, I figured I'd share the recipe. First off, what is a Moink? It's a bacon wrapped meatball that is smoked and then glazed with your favorite BBQ sauce. Moink stands for Moo + Oink and here's how I make mine.

I buy 3 pounds of 80/20 ground chuck or if I have a big enough chuck roast, I grind my own (much better that way). Into a large bowl I add 2 large eggs to the meat, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of regular bread crumbs. I eyeball it, so it's tough to say exactly how much. You just want enough to act as a binder with the egg to help the meatballs hold their shape. Into that I add maybe a tablespoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, and about 2 teaspoons each of kosher salt and pepper. Not too much seasoning as after it's all mixed I portion into ping pong sized balls and wrap with 1/2 piece of bacon and dust with a coffee rub. Lately I've been using the one made by Weber. It has salt and obviously so does the bacon.

I smoke them at 225° for about 2-3 hours with peach wood. Toward the end of the cook, I brush them with bbq sauce and let it set up then rotate and brush again. They come out all nice and sticky. Melt in your mouth. It's one of my favorite things to make and it's super easy and cheap to boot ;)

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:34:33 PM by RG »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Recipe for Moinks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Those look great!  Gonna have to try them.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
I searched through the "Beef" area here and didn't see moinks listed so since I just made some, I figured I'd share the recipe. First off, what is a Moink? It's a bacon wrapped meatball that is smoked and then glazed with your favorite BBQ sauce. Moink stands for Moo + Oink and here's how I make mine.

I buy 3 pounds of 80/20 ground chuck or if I have a big enough chuck roast, I grind my own (much better that way). Into a large bowl I add 2 large eggs to the meat, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of regular bread crumbs. I eyeball it, so it's tough to say exactly how much. You just want enough to act as a binder with the egg to help the meatballs hold their shape. Into that I add maybe a tablespoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, and about 2 teaspoons each of kosher salt and pepper. Not too much seasoning as after it's all mixed I portion into ping pong sized balls and wrap with 1/2 piece of bacon and dust with a coffee rub. Lately I've been using the one made by Weber. It has salt and obviously so does the bacon.

I smoke them at 225° for about 2-3 hours with peach wood. Toward the end of the cook, I brush them with bbq sauce and let it set up then rotate and brush again. They come out all nice and sticky. Melt in your mouth. It's one of my favorite things to make and it's super easy and cheap to boot ;)

Enjoy!!

Jason,

I printed this out and will give a try in the near future!

Greg

RG

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
Great Greg! Let me know what you think. I actually make my own sauce for it but feel free to use what you like. Hard to mess these up. They get inhaled, so that's why I make so many ;)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »
Great Greg! Let me know what you think. I actually make my own sauce for it but feel free to use what you like. Hard to mess these up. They get inhaled, so that's why I make so many ;)

Hey Jason,

They really look good and with some cheese and crackers, I am thinking this will be dinner one night soon!

For the sauce, like you I make my own.

Greg

es1025

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Jason great stuff. I have to try this recipe soon.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »
Meatloaf with extra bacon!  haha

Looks good.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »
Those look great!  Gonna have to try them.
X-2 that
[I[I .............

Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
Damm that looks good...going to have to try this "Moink" next

Thanks

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 11:43:31 PM »
Those do look amazing RG
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
This is on my 'to do' list as well... :P
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
RG, have you tried making poinks?  Pork on pork sounds good too. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
Thanks for the "Recipe for Moinks" Jason.... I agree with the others, added to the to-do list..  8)

coachB

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
Jason, when you smoke them do you do so in the aluminum pan or place them straight on the racks then transfer them to the pan when completed?  How much do they shrink down during the smoke to finalize at the ping pong ball size?  Dying to give these a shot, just curious what size they should start at and if they can be done totally in the aluminum pan.  This looks to be a great recipe.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

RG

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
These were done on one of my kegs but could easily be done on the SI. I cooked them indirectly on the grate, they don't shrink much. I just eyeball the size, no 2 are exactly the same. That recipe makes about 32 moinks, I put them in a pan when done and cover with foil and put on the cooler side of my gas grill to keep warm until time to munch ;)