Author Topic: Squirrel Stew, please only use young squirrels. Also known as Brunswick Stew :)  (Read 9383 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
While traveling in Georgia, I have had some amazing Brunswick Stew. But when I have tried to create it, I really did not like the results.

I have been looking at recipes once again, including Big Bob Gibson's recipe and a few others and but I would like some input....

Right now I have some great smoked pork and chicken, so I am half almost there........

If you have a great recipe that you would be willing to share, thanks in advance.

Greg

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:01:31 PM by gregbooras »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Brunswick Stew
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Looks like no recipes, so I did a lot of research and put together my version. Right now the stew is cooking away and it should be ready for lunch.

I will post the results and the recipe later today.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Greg, I don't know if you have Smoky Bones restaurants up there, but they have what I think is a really good Brunswick Stew. Let us know how you make out.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
Greg, I don't know if you have Smoky Bones restaurants up there, but they have what I think is a really good Brunswick Stew. Let us know how you make out.

We do, but I think I have only eaten their once. I did look at their recipe, but it was on the to sweet side for my tastes, but that may just be me :)

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
My only input would be that a little wine in the pot tends to make all stews better. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
The results are in and the stew turned out really good. With the smoked pork and the chicken and my favorite crackers from New England every bite was  a delight.

Recipe to follow!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I have eaten Brunswick stew many times and after my last trip to Georgia I decided to recreate it. I followed several of the traditional recipes but in the end I didn’t care for the result so I moved on.

But with all the smoking I have been doing, I had leftover pork and chicken in the refrigerator that was going to go to waste. So I did my research and after looking at dozens of recipes, I finally decided what I thought would be good in the stew. Thus you will find my recipe and some stew history below.

Note, some versions call for Ketchup and BBQ sauce in the stew, I find this makes the stew to sweet, but you can always add some. Also feel free to add more meat or additional veggies to the stew.

Brunswick Stew
Ingredients
2 T unsalted butter
1 sweet onion diced
1 t minced garlic
½ cup mini sweet peppers (seeded and chopped)
6-7 small red potatoes skin on (microwave for 3 minutes and then cut potatoes into ½ chunks, bite size)
1 (28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes with juice)
¼ t ground pepper
1 T hot sauce (I used Cholula Chipotle)
3 cans large butter beans (drained and rinsed, I like Joan of Arc)
1 32 oz. box chicken stock (Kirkland Organic)
1 lb. package of frozen corn
8 oz. smoked chicken (cut up into 1” chunks)
8 oz. smoked pork butt (cut up into 1” chunks)
1 T crumbled bacon
1 T Worchester sauce
2 t BBQ seasoning

Directions
Add butter to large pot and over medium heat add onions, garlic and sweet peppers. Sauté until the onions are translucent about 10 minutes. Next add all ingredients except the pork and the chicken, bring to a boil and then simmer for 90 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
Next add the pork and chicken and continue to simmer for another 45minutes. Add salt and pepper as desired. 

Remember this is stew and should be on the thicker side, if needed smash some of the potatoes or add starch or flour to thicken.

Who created Brunswick Stew?
Southerners love to debate the origins of Brunswick stew. Virginia, Georgia and North Carolina all claim to be its birthplace, but the truth most likely is that it originated with Native Americans.

1828 - In Brunswick, Virginia, Dr. Creed Haskins, a member of the House of Delegates from 1839-1841, took a group of friends on a hunting expedition on the banks of the Nottaway River. While off hunting, his slave and camp cook, known as Uncle Jimmy Matthews, resourcefully rounded up some squirrel and cooked it up into a thick soup with onions and stale bread. Upon return, the cold and starving hunters were hesitant to try the stew with squirrel meat, but their hunger won out. They liked the thick warm stew so much that they asked for seconds and thirds! This concoction was known as the first Brunswick Stew. It is rumored that Jimmy Matthews was asked to recreate his stew cooked in a large pot for a political rally for President

Andrew Jackson.
1862 - First published recipe for “Virginia Stew” in the Southern Recorder of Milledgaville, Georgia

Enjoy Greg

Barrel99

Some history along with the squirrel stew always makes things more appealing. Looks great!

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Some history along with the squirrel stew always makes things more appealing. Looks great!

Arnie,

I was really happy with the results, I thought it was spot on and so did my wife. Tomorrow I plan to share with a neighbor friend that also smokes.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
I disagree, fry the young squirrels, stew the old ones.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker

Thanks for making me laugh.

Happy Monday.

Greg

Walt

I prefer squirrel in a dark roux gumbo.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Barrel99

I have friends who have eaten squirrel stew and told me when your hunting and that's the only  food you can get, it's heaven.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I have friends who have eaten squirrel stew and told me when your hunting and that's the only  food you can get, it's heaven.

When I was boy I went hunting with my brother in law to hunt squirrels, I can tell you there is not much meat on a squirrel :)

Greg

1stlink

You are 100% right Brian IMHO...  8)