Author Topic: Bacon 1st shot  (Read 21707 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Bacon 1st shot
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:55 PM »
Last time I was at Costco they had some good looking Pork Bellies, about 5 to 8 pounds each.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »
Thanks Brian, I don't have a membership to Costco but might have to get one. There are a couple of those in K.C.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:28:52 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Bebe

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 04:31:20 PM »
I might try the buckboard bacon as have never seen pork bellies.
Most Asian stores (or supermarkets) have pork bellies. Buckboard is pretty good, can't go wrong with it (BassPro have the best price)

URL=[/URL]

(this was done in a Weber, can't wait to see how will be in a SI)
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
I might try the buckboard bacon as have never seen pork bellies.
Most Asian stores (or supermarkets) have pork bellies. Buckboard is pretty good, can't go wrong with it (BassPro have the best price)

URL=[/URL]

Very nice Pete!

Greg

(this was done in a Weber, can't wait to see how will be in a SI)

elkins20

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »
Hey Pete, this is nice looking bacon. Did not understand about Bass Pro having the best price? I did not know that they sell fresh meat?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 06:47:47 PM »
Hey Greg, have you tried RD for pork belly? I have been toying with the idea of making this. As I only have 2 packages left of the 15# I purchased at RD in June. I go thru a ton of bacon. But, as most say everything is better with bacon. I might try the buckboard bacon as have never seen pork bellies. Or might ask the butcher at Sam's if they have it or can order it for me.

Hey Bill,

I didn't notice if they had pork belly at RD the last time I was there, I will have to check. I did buy a 5 lb. belly from the butcher last month and was planning on doing it with the grand kids. But we ran out of time, so once I get a week or so off the road, I will give it another try.

Greg

Hey Greg, That bellie you had was very good looking. I did purchase 2 3# pieces this past weekend. Now waiting on insta cure #1 to arrive. I need to remember next time to tell them I want it same thickness all the way thru. I also have an Asian store close to me and might try them. I paid $4.89 per pound.

Bebe

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »
Did not understand about Bass Pro having the best price?
sorry, my fault.... i was referring to Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

elkins20

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
Hey Pete, thanks, for clearing that up. I ordered 8 ounces of insta cure #1 so will probably make my own cure at least on the pork bellies. But, may try the high mountain bacon cure on buckboard bacon. As the bellies I purchased was not to my liking, but was in kind of a hurry which is not good when purchasing meat.

allmann

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »
Stupid question.  Buckboard bacon........ Just use part of the pork shoulder? Is there a certain way to cut it?  Do you trim some fat off or do you wait for it to be smoked?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 01:56:53 AM »
Stupid question.  Buckboard bacon........ Just use part of the pork shoulder? Is there a certain way to cut it?  Do you trim some fat off or do you wait for it to be smoked?

Hey Kevin, you can also use a Boston Butt, just cut around the bone and take it out. Maybe can cut it in half to make maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inch slabs. I would not trim any fat off at all as that is where you will get the flavor.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
When I did it I got a boneless butt and sliced it in thick chunks so the grain of the meat was right for the bacon. That way I got max flavor when I smoked it. My wife actually likes the buckboard better than the belly bacon.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
How thick did you slice your "chunks," Bob?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
Tony, about the width I wanted for a slice of bacon. So about 2".
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

allmann

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Bought everything and will be trying this as soon as the butt defrosts. I bought the High mtn  Buckboard Bacon cure at Bass Pro
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »
Bought everything and will be trying this as soon as the butt defrosts. I bought the High mtn  Buckboard Bacon cure at Bass Pro

Hey Kevin, Let me know what you think of the bacon.