Author Topic: New to Lazy Q  (Read 5345 times)

ROC_BBQ

New to Lazy Q
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:40:52 PM »
I'm making the transition from charcoal (small Weber & a Brinkman water bullet). Over the past 5 years or so I've made some great BBQ. But the task of monitoring temperatures, and the continuous refiring, has pushed me to look for an easier alternative. I'm looking forward to seeing what the SI #1 can do.
I have some baby backs and chicken thighs rubbed and ready for some smoke tomorrow. I plan on using a few ounces of hickory and apple at 235 and think I'll pull the chicken after 2.5 hours and let the BBs go for another two hours.
Thanks to all who have contributed to the forum. I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and learning the ins/outs of lazy Q on the SI. 
Jason - Rochester, NY
Model 1
Brinkman Charcoal

Barrel99

Re: New to Lazy Q
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
Welcome Jason, from Florida. Good luck with your new #1. I think you will find that Lazy Q becomes a very easy mode to fall into with these smokers. Sounds like you already have the timing and wood amount (3 oz) ready to go. Let us know how you make out and maybe take some pictures.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »
Welcome Jason from Saint Augustine,

I think you are really going to like the Lazy Q smoking. With this kind of smoking you can keep it simple or add a bit of your own flare for excellent BBQ.

Greg

Limey

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Jason, welcome from the Florida Keys. I'm sure you will enjoy your new SI and all the great information on this forum.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

pargolfr2003

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Welcome Jason! I just got my SI2 a couple months ago and I'm already a much improved smoker because of this forum. A ton of information on here and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask. Everyone here is extremely generous with their knowledge and love sharing their experience with fellow SI owners.  A lot of good people on here with lots of info so take full advantage of it. We all love pics so remember to post whenever you finish something.

Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 05:03:14 PM »
Welcome to "Club Lazy Q," Jason! 8)   Sounds like you've been hanging around here, and already have a plan, so just let us know how we can help if you need it!  You're about to increase your Q production quite a bit (too easy not to)!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ROC_BBQ

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice that's here in the forum. I'm pleased with my first SI experience. I used 3 oz. of hickory & applewood, set it at 235, and walked away.. I took the chicken thighs off after 2.5 hours and then let the ribs go for another 2. I think the chicken could have been removed at 2 hours but they were good. I'm not sure how to deal with the rubbery skin though. The ribs were cooked perfectly. I do miss the subtle charcoal flavor but the hardwood smoke was just right and they were cooked just to my liking (clean bite off the bone). Clean up was a breeze! I'm looking forward to a longer smoke with a pork shoulder next time. Here are a few pics.
Jason - Rochester, NY
Model 1
Brinkman Charcoal

Limey

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
Looks great, Jason. Most of us crisp up the chicken skin on the grill. Happy smoking.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

ROC_BBQ

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
Looks great, Jason. Most of us crisp up the chicken skin on the grill. Happy smoking.
Thanks Limey. That was going to be my plan with the chicken but a heavy downpour foiled that. Weather permitting I'll give that a try next time.
Jason - Rochester, NY
Model 1
Brinkman Charcoal

coachB

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:41:45 PM »
Welcome Jason,  you will have a great opportunity with the smokin-it to do up some outstanding Lake Ontario salmon.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »
Excellent Jason! You are on your way. Thanks for the pics.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Jason!  You will love your #1, and it sounds like you are off and running.  Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
Looks great to me Jason! You can also crisp the skin in a 500 deg oven instead of the grill. Great either way.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
Nice job, indeed, Jason! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!