Author Topic: Where do ya'll usually get your brisket?  (Read 8498 times)

Trip

Where do ya'll usually get your brisket?
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »
I am having a tough time finding a local meat market or butcher shop around my area that does packer cut, anybody buy from big box with success on briskets?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Where do ya'll usually get your brisket?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:16:13 PM »
No luck on big box for packers in my area.
Smart & Final
Cash & Carry
Some times Winco or Food 4Less.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jbauch357

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
QFC in our area (not sure where you're located) has a great meat/seafood counter, they'll also custom cut things for me as well as offer butchering lessons when I have questions.

Safeway and our local family grocer are worthless for quality meat or selection.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
Sam's Club has packers, and are usually either USDA Choice or even Prime.  WalMarts, at least in my area, usually have packers, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Trip

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:36:17 PM »
Walmarks appears to have them here, but I found a butcher on the other side of town that has some primes.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
It's great if you can find a Prime briskie, but Choice does very well - if prepped right.  I brine, at a minimum, and usually brine and inject.  Good prep work is key to great brisket, and you can get great results with Choice - and save some $$!  I stay away from Select, as that grade seems to have a lot of leeway on quality...pretty hit and miss.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
This makes me scratch my head why some national stores are regional about carrying these items.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:56 PM »
Supply and Demand. No Demand = No Supply. I often wonder what happens to the pricey cuts of meat that aren't sold by the sell by date.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 12:12:38 AM »
At Fresh Market the other day, an upscale market like Whole Foods, I asked if they had packers. He said yes they run about $89. I said sounds good, by this time my mouth was watering. Are they choice? I asked. No they are prime. WoW, the mother load, $89 for a prime packer. How many pounds, I asked . He replied, 3 or 4. I backed away from the counter. For a whole brisket?, I asked. No we don't sell whole ones, only flats. Good Grief!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Trip

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
At Fresh Market the other day, an upscale market like Whole Foods, I asked if they had packers. He said yes they run about $89. I said sounds good, by this time my mouth was watering. Are they choice? I asked. No they are prime. WoW, the mother load, $89 for a prime packer. How many pounds, I asked . He replied, 3 or 4. I backed away from the counter. For a whole brisket?, I asked. No we don't sell whole ones, only flats. Good Grief!

Costco only carries flats here as well.  I called one upscale meat market (aka hipster mart) yesterday and they had no idea what a packer cut was...  I had to explain it was the point and flat to them, complete fail...  They wanted 10.99 a pound.  Might as well order one from Creekstone.

The local butcher across town that has prime has a very good price even compared to Wallyword for his and gets his stuff from local farmers.  I will give him a try.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:00:17 AM by Trip »

mizzoufan

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
wow, remind me not to move to Florida.  I thought our prices could be steep for brisket (what can I say, I rarely pay for beef given that my family raises it) but we can get a ~12 pounder for half that on a good day
Steven from KCMO

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
I'm struggling to pay $65-$70 for a packer brisket when I can get a nice prime rib roast for that. 

Limey

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
Me too. I'm afraid that BBQ has become too popular.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Trip

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »
wow, remind me not to move to Florida.  I thought our prices could be steep for brisket (what can I say, I rarely pay for beef given that my family raises it) but we can get a ~12 pounder for half that on a good day

It's Tennessee.  I kinda expected it to be that much given the location and the type of people that they cater to in that area.  It's over half that, 4.99 a pound I think, at the other local butcher.  I was much more shocked they didn't know their cuts for being a butcher.

Barrel99

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »
The last one I got was a 14.5 packer from my butcher for $4.49/lb. Great price and it was choice. That's the only place I will go now.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!