Poll

making ribs for the first time

best options for first rib smoke
1 (100%)
best wood types to use to accent flavor.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: my model 1 just shipped!  (Read 7464 times)

greg7878

my model 1 just shipped!
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
Hello.  i finally saved up enough to order the model 1 and it has shipped this morning.  I am somewhat new to smoking.  i have a big easy electric smoker roaster which is a fantastic cooker, but a troublesome smoker.  it can never keep the smoke going.  i have some location restrictions that kept me from getting the model 2, in that i live in a top floor apartment with a screened in patio.  i am really looking forward to finally trying to make some ribs for the first time and i would love any suggestions, tips, recipes, guidance, etc. to try and keep it a good first experience.  also, i have read that the amount of wood used is very important.  it looks like wood amounts are recommended in ounces but i didn't know if i need a scale or if most people just ball-park it based on how many wood chunks used.  oh, i almost forgot, what is the right or best type of wood?  i have to go pick some up before it arrives.  thanks for any help and i'm very excited to be part of the smokin-it family.  looking forward to many weekends of smoking.
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: my model 1 just shipped!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
Hey Greg,

Below is a link for the first ribs I smoked and they turned out great. If you do not have a digital thermometer you will want to invest in one. A lot of folks use the Maverick 732 or 733, but there are others out there that can be had for $25-$30.00. For your wood I would stay away from the box stores, in a pinch maybe, but the wood is normally very dry. Maine Grilling Woods is where I buy my wood and it works out great.

Best suggestion I can make is the read through the forums, recipes hints, things to do first and ask questions.

There are some amazing folks here that are hard to stump!

Congrats on your new smoker and welcome from St. Augustine FL.

Greg

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3047.0

greg7878

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
I was looking at meat probes and went with the maverick 733.  it comes with a free pair of the bear claws which is great because my girl loves pulled pork, especially when we have parties and need something that can feed a lot of people.  luckily i have amazon prime for free through school so it'll be here before the weekend.  now if the smoker makes it before then i can season it and test it out.  i will try and stay away from the big box stores for the wood.  i saw there is some available through the smokin-it website or i'll see if there's anything around south Florida that would work.  thanks for the help, happy smokin.
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:35:28 PM »
I was looking at meat probes and went with the maverick 733.  it comes with a free pair of the bear claws which is great because my girl loves pulled pork, especially when we have parties and need something that can feed a lot of people.  luckily i have amazon prime for free through school so it'll be here before the weekend.  now if the smoker makes it before then i can season it and test it out.  i will try and stay away from the big box stores for the wood.  i saw there is some available through the smokin-it website or i'll see if there's anything around south Florida that would work.  thanks for the help, happy smokin.

Hey Greg,

No problem at all, I also went with the 733, it could be a bit more user friendly, but it works!

Also you should have some left over wood that comes with your smoker to break it in, so you could use that for the ribs.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
Just figure the smoke will only go for 2 hours or so.   If you do 5 hour ribs dont expect 5 hours of smoke (and its not needed).  Meat only absorbs smoke until 140 degrees if my memory is correct.

Enjoy.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »
Welcome, and congrats, Greg!  If you haven't read this yet, it's a good start:

Basics for Beginners

As for ribs, don't worry about trying to monitor meat temp.  These are done by time and feel.  Prep your ribs the night before by removing the membrane on the back of the ribs, slather in yellow mustard and rub.  I recommend Famous Dave's Rib Rub as a good off-the-shelf rub.  Wrap them in plastic, and let them get happy in the fridge overnight.  Smoke them at 235° for 5 hours, using 2.5-3 oz of hickory or cherry (I love cherry on pork), and be sure to use a water pan on the floor of the smoker, next to the smoke box.  I use disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans.  Fill with apple juice or just plain water.  Start checking the ribs at 5 hours with a toothpick.  If it goes in easy, and you can pull the meat sideways, away from the bone, they're done!  If not, go another 20-30 min and check again.

Ribs are really very easy to get right - just low and slow for at least 5 hours (if you like fall-off-the-bone ribs).  If you like them more chewy, start checking at 4.5 hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

greg7878

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:45:15 AM »
started going over the basics for beginners.  i am wondering if i'll have to wrap the bottom of the wood chunks in foil.  has anyone had to do this?  other than that, sounds pretty easy to use which is exactly what i wanted.  i work at night so if i can come home, throw something in there and go to bed while it smokes and cooks, that's perfect!  i ordered some cherry and hickory for the smoke this weekend.  my model 1 should be here on Thursday.  going to have to season it friday before work so it'll be ready to go this weekend.
greg
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
started going over the basics for beginners.  i am wondering if i'll have to wrap the bottom of the wood chunks in foil.  has anyone had to do this?  other than that, sounds pretty easy to use which is exactly what i wanted.  i work at night so if i can come home, throw something in there and go to bed while it smokes and cooks, that's perfect!  i ordered some cherry and hickory for the smoke this weekend.  my model 1 should be here on Thursday.  going to have to season it friday before work so it'll be ready to go this weekend.
greg

Greg,

Yes I foil my wood and have good luck, but did get a belch on my last chicken smoke!

Walt

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
I have not found a need to foil or ramp up temperatures. If you have belches try the ramp up method, if you continue to have belches then go to foiling. I don't think the belches are common in the #1.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
The belch seems to be more of #2+ issue, not so much if at all for the #1.   I have a #2 and I use the boat foil method for my wood.   I have also started putting the wood in the back of the fire box  - closest to the back wall of the smoker.   I have not experienced a belch with this method, so I am assuming that the less air is reaching the wood in the back of the fire box rather than the middle or front.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
The belch seems to be more of #2+ issue, not so much if at all for the #1.   I have a #2 and I use the boat foil method for my wood.   I have also started putting the wood in the back of the fire box  - closest to the back wall of the smoker.   I have not experienced a belch with this method, so I am assuming that the less air is reaching the wood in the back of the fire box rather than the middle or front.

Steve,

I normally spread the chunks out, but will try putting the chunks at the back.

Thanks Good Info

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
Greg - in the #1, you should just be able to put your chunks in, and crank it up to cooking temp.  I have NEVER experienced combustion/belch in the #1.  I didn't understand what that was until I started using the #2, with a much bigger heating element.  No worries with the 1.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TARDISgirl

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:17:00 AM »
I've never experienced the belch either, but I do make a little "boat" of foil for my wood if for no other reason than easier clean up.
Also, Greg, make sure you go with a heavy duty foil (I get a grilling foil that is extra wide and has a non-stick side). Regular thickness foil will pull apart and may stick to the smoker.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

greg7878

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
model 1 just arrived and i put the wheels on and the cover, it's ready to season tomorrow.  i know i need to take the racks out but do i leave the side rails in there while seasoning?  it says 2 pieces of wood in the box, let smoke for 3 or 4 hours, i've read most people go 4, and then it's ready for the weekend.  thanks for all the help, can't wait to start trying it out. 
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
model 1 just arrived and i put the wheels on and the cover, it's ready to season tomorrow.  i know i need to take the racks out but do i leave the side rails in there while seasoning?  it says 2 pieces of wood in the box, let smoke for 3 or 4 hours, i've read most people go 4, and then it's ready for the weekend.  thanks for all the help, can't wait to start trying it out.

You bet, pull the racks and leave the rails in. Wood (2) and let it go for four hours!

Enjoy you nice shiny smoker for the last time, this is a good thing.
Greg