Author Topic: Whole Chicken Amazing - First time whole chicken in #2  (Read 3596 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Whole Chicken Amazing - First time whole chicken in #2
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
Not being the traditional guy I decided to smoke a chicken for Easter. I have to say I have eaten and smoked many a chickens in my day, but this was the most tender and juicy chicken I have ever had. The design of this smoker is amazing and Steve thank you.

One other thing I did was to use a water pan, filled with a bit of beer and water. The main reason was to capture some drippings which I used in my homemade gravy. I ended up using about 3 T of the dripping, add just the right taste and a nice bit of smoke.

Ingredients
1 5 lb. chicken (brined for 4 hours)
Olive Oil
Rub

Remove chicken from brine and rinse off. Rub the inside and the outside of the chicken (even under the skin) with olive oil and your favorite bbq rub.
Add 3 oz. of apple wood to smoker, put chicken in smoker, second rack from the bottom and set for 250 degrees.
Remove when chicken when it reached 165 degrees (3.5 hours), cover and allow to rest for 20 minutes or so.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Whole Chicken Amazing - First time whole chicken in #2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
Looks great, Greg!  I love whole chicken in these smokers - best I've ever had, too!  I like to fill the cavity of mine with equal parts of chopped celery, carrots and onion ("mire poix"), and maybe a slice or two of lemon.  These aromatics help the bird to cook more evenly, and really impart a great flavor to the meat, from the inside out. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
Looks great, Greg!  I love whole chicken in these smokers - best I've ever had, too!  I like to fill the cavity of mine with equal parts of chopped celery, carrots and onion ("mire poix"), and maybe a slice or two of lemon.  These aromatics help the bird to cook more evenly, and really impart a great flavor to the meat, from the inside out.

Normally I would stuff, but since this was my first whole bird on this baby I decided to go with the basics.

Man I am so impressed, and the drip pan had a drip or two.....  This takes smoking to a new level!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »
No basics here. Just great prep work and a fabulous looking meal.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:25:16 AM »
No basics here. Just great prep work and a fabulous looking meal.

Thanks,

This I am glad I don't do this for a living, but I do enjoy it!

Greg