Author Topic: GO CATS#BBN  (Read 2145 times)

Specks

• Now I can go fishing and smoke a butt - dang-it
GO CATS#BBN
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
This forum is a he%! of a sales tool... Y'all made me buy this Smokin-it #3 cooker so I hope it's up to the hype. I've been perusing the Smokin-it forum for a couple months as well as other sites. I started smoking meats with my father in law in the late 80's after moving to Paducah KY. He had a custom double wall 50 gal upright smoker built with 4 rotisserie shelves. We only used oak & hickory in an open fire and shoveled coals in like you would on a steam engine. Then we got into making hardwood charcoal while we were smoking meat. Something to do other than drink beer while tending the smoker. That smoker is now with my brother in-law who resides on the southeast corner of our property so it is still getting a high level of use. We've also put a few hogs in the ground but haven't done one for a couple years. Its a lot of work and takes like a rick of wood but dang good. TEC grill is great for steaks and burgers, I mean you need a fire suite and long utensils that thing gets so hot, it's not the best for cooking anything slow...
My #3 smoker showed up at 1:30 yesterday - by 2:00 the door was closed and the seasoning process had started. The day before I brined a butt and a huge slab of country style ribs. The ribs went on around 6:15 PM - why not I had to pick my son and nephew up from the airport at 10:30 last night. So around 11:45 I pulled the ribs, slathered on some home made Carolina sauce and the 3 of us destroyed them. They turned out great - sorry no photo of the ribs. Fast forward to 5:30 am this morning - took the 5.8 pound pork butt and shut the door. So now is 5 hours in the #3, IT is 147. All the gals should be home from OBA (Orange Beach Alabama) I call it LA (Lower Alabama), around 6:00 this evening so I'm hoping to have it wrapped and in the cooler by 5:00.
I'm a first time electric smoker owner so the past few weeks of reading and learning from you experts makes me confident things are going to be gooooooood! Happy Easter to all...
Jim, from Paducah KY - Bourbon & Moonshine Country
Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber, bypass & switch
TEC Infrared 36" Grill
Cajun Fryer, 4 gallon
48" Brinkman charcoal grill (former offset smoker)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: GO CATS#BBN
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »
Welcome from AZ.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
Welcome from Saint Augustine FL.

Enjoy your new smoker and Happy Easter!

Greg

Limey

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
Hi Jim, welcome from the Florida Keys. I too have a few TEC grills and love them but they are not for the faint hearted. You will find your new #3 much easier to use. It's a great unit and everyone on this forum is very friendly and helpful. Happy Easter.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Jim!  You can't go wrong here!   We won't eat the mess ups, but we have lots of good advice for the next smoke...just let us know what you need!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
Nice Jim. Man we do get crazy about SI smokers don't we?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Specks

• Now I can go fishing and smoke a butt - dang-it
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
With good reason Arnie. I'm about 8 degrees from taking the pork butt out of the SI 3. Should have a good 90 minute rest before I start pullin. Couldn't get much easier.
Jim, from Paducah KY - Bourbon & Moonshine Country
Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber, bypass & switch
TEC Infrared 36" Grill
Cajun Fryer, 4 gallon
48" Brinkman charcoal grill (former offset smoker)