Author Topic: Spare Ribs, Eggs, and Potatoes  (Read 10606 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Spare Ribs, Eggs, and Potatoes
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
I smoked some eggs today, and potatoes and chicken thighs for pulled chicken. They were in the smoker for 2.5 hours. Barely tasted any smoke flavor in the eggs and they were a bear to take the shells off. Probably won't do it again.

I did not have any problems with the eggs sticking, but I always spray them with pam first.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
The good the bad and the throw away eggs.....

First batch of eggs shell on, 225 degrees, 2 oz. Mulberry, smoked 2 hours. Remove from smoker and place in a ice bath for 10 minutes before peeling.
Second batch, boiled the eggs, removed shells and smoked at 225 degrees, 2 oz. Mulberry for 50 minutes. Removed and allowed to cool in the refrigerator.

I have attached photos so you can see the results. The eggs smoked with shell on had a slight rather nice smoke flavor. The eggs smoked without the shell, we the outside tasted like rubber, but the yolks had a nice smoke flavor.

So at least for me, I will just smoke the eggs for 2 hours with the shells on in the future.

First photo, eggs with shell on after smoker.
Second photo, eggs on left smoked with shell on (shell removed in photo), eggs on right smoked without shell.
Third photo, shows the eggs side by side. On the left you will see a small smoke ring on the right much larger.
Forth photo, time to eat!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Well done!   I think I might pass on the whole egg thing.   I tried to tempt my kids who are all into the dying eggs for Easter...no takers.    I was pondering how the smoke could get through the egg shell which seems a bit difficult given the structure of the shell.  But, I will have to try!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Well done!   I think I might pass on the whole egg thing.   I tried to tempt my kids who are all into the dying eggs for Easter...no takers.    I was pondering how the smoke could get through the egg shell which seems a bit difficult given the structure of the shell.  But, I will have to try!

In one of the threads I read, it said to break the shell after you started to smoke. My guess is that after 35-45 break the shell on each and then leave on for another 45 minutes. The smoke flavor on the eggs (yolk) on the eggs without shells had a nice smoke flavor.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
Don't know that I liked that...this is when my #2 is just coming up to temp!  And, it violates the land of lazy Q... :o
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

paidin

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
all egg shells are porous, thats how the smoke makes its way in.  My kids love to snack on these eggs and it is so easy to make.  The hard part is remembering to place them in there when I am smoking.

Some ideas to help with your lazy-q:
potato salad goes well with bbq, throw in some potatoes and eggs when you start your smoke and you will have some of the main ingredients to make awesome potato salad without dirtying any more dishes.
deviled eggs are good with bbq
throw in some eggs when you start your cook and the eggs will be ready to be deviled half way through your rib smoke
corn is good with bbq
Take some fresh corn, silk and all and toss it in the smoker.  The moisture from the husk and silk will steam the corn while the smoke permeates the corn.  When the corn is done, cut the corn from the stem end and squeeze the corn out of the husk from the end and the corn on the cob will exit leaving behind the silk inside the husk

I am sure there are other fun things to toss in the smoker while you are smoking your main meal.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
Paidin,

Thanks for sharing your eggs in the smoker, I would have never thought of it myself!

Greg

paidin

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »
no problem, I am sure someone else would have brought it up eventually.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!