Author Topic: Spare Ribs, Eggs, and Potatoes  (Read 10607 times)

paidin

Spare Ribs, Eggs, and Potatoes
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Trimmed some spare ribs down, rubbed in yellow mustard, seasoned with Famous Daves rub.  I really suck at ribs so I hope this works out.  I have it in the smoker for 250 degrees for 5 hours.  put 1 hickory dowel in for smoke.  Also tossed in some raw eggs and raw potatoes for the ride.  3 hours later, I came home and did not see any smoke so I grabbed a small piece of apple to toss in the smoker.  I noticed the hickory was total ash.  I figure a little apple never hurt nobody.  I will update with finished product when its time to eat.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Spare Ribs, Eggs, and Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »
Setting the temp at 250F on the smoker suggests that the ribs will be done in under 5 hours -- most of us set the smoker at 225-235 for ribs.   I am not sure how much one hickory dowel weighs, but you might want to use more to get 3-4ozs of wood in the box.  Adding the apple was a good move!   

I am really interested to hear about the eggs...I have not tried this yet, so please let us know what you think about smoking the raw eggs!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

paidin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »
Just snacked on an egg and it was awesome! Auber set to 250 but all the other probes showing 135 degrees including the auber food probe. Strange. I wanted the ribs to finish early, hoping to eat at 7pm, that's why I'm using 250 degrees instead of 225.  I'm hungry! !
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

paidin

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »
very belated results post, sorry.  The ribs were good but not outstanding.  It was on the verge of actually good.  I admit that I am still perfecting ribs.  Attached are pictures of the eggs and the finished ribs.  I took the smoked potatoes and eggs and made smoked potato salad with them.  very delicious!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
very belated results post, sorry.  The ribs were good but not outstanding.  It was on the verge of actually good.  I admit that I am still perfecting ribs.  Attached are pictures of the eggs and the finished ribs.  I took the smoked potatoes and eggs and made smoked potato salad with them.  very delicious!

Paidin,

I would have never thought to smoke eggs. How did you place them in the smoker and what was the final time smoked before you pulled the eggs.

Thanks Greg

paidin

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
you just stick raw eggs in the smoker.  They are done after 2 or 3 hours.  probably done before that but I just pull them out at 2-3 hour mark.  they are cheap, throw some in and take some out every hour to see when the perfect time is.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »
you just stick raw eggs in the smoker.  They are done after 2 or 3 hours.  probably done before that but I just pull them out at 2-3 hour mark.  they are cheap, throw some in and take some out every hour to see when the perfect time is.

Excellent, I will give this a try later this week when I get home from traveling.

I will do some at 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours. Then cool and whichever tastes the best make Deviled Eggs!

Thanks Greg

paidin

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:03 PM »
you dont have to wait for it to cool  250 degree egg is pretty easy to handle :)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
Excellent, I will post my results!

Thanks again for sharing.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
I look forward to your results, Greg.  I want to try eggs in the smoker but I want to make sure that they fully cook.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
I look forward to your results, Greg.  I want to try eggs in the smoker but I want to make sure that they fully cook.

Just getting back from a trip, I will either smoke tonight later or in the morning, I will let you know.

Thanks Greg

paidin

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »

just throw in some eggs with your next smoke and take them out at the same time as whatever you are cooking.  they will be cooked for sure and the longer you have them in the smoker, the smokier they get.  cant go wrong and they are cheap.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
Sorry for the delay,

I will post my egg results tomorrow with photos, but the quick answer is 2 hours is just right.

Also you do not want to boil first and then smoke, the egg will taste like rubber!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 08:56:53 PM »
I was planning to do a smoke test on the eggs over a three hour period, but then I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbE9JGLSg_s

The video is interesting but what was missing was what was the best time for great tasting smoked eggs......

I will post more tomorrow.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
I smoked some eggs today, and potatoes and chicken thighs for pulled chicken. They were in the smoker for 2.5 hours. Barely tasted any smoke flavor in the eggs and they were a bear to take the shells off. Probably won't do it again.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!