Author Topic: Smoked spatchcock chicken  (Read 10030 times)

jbauch357

Smoked spatchcock chicken
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
I combined a few different recipes for my latest chicken attempt, and once again had the best result I've ever produced.  Figured I'd share.

Brine
1c kosher salt
1c brown sugar
2qts hot water
2qts ice cubes
Mix salt, sugar and hot water until ingredients are dissolved - add ice to cool. 

Rub (halved as this makes enough for two chickens)
1/2 Cup    paprika
1/4 Cup    lemon pepper
1/4 Cup    white sugar
3 Tbsp      kosher salt
3 Tbsp      garlic powder
2 Tbsp      onion powder
1 Tbsp      dried oregano
1 Tsp        dried mustard
1 Tsp        dried thyme
1 Tsp        cayenne pepper
1 Tsp        cumin

Spatchcock chicken and place in above brine for ~3hrs.  Remove from brine, thoroughly dry with paper towels, rub surface with olive oil, and rub with above recipe.  Take half of remaining rub and mix in water until thin enough to pass through injector, then inject between skin and meat.  Use final bit of rub to fix the places you smudged while messing with the injector.

Smoke at 225 until IT reaches 155 (I forget which wood type)
Up temp to 275 (to crisp skin) once IT hits 165, then pull.

The brine and rub were absolutely perfect, couldn't imagine a better compliment for poultry.  The finished result was nice and smoky, flavorful, and not salty at all.  The meat was fantastically juicy and tender, we just cut the chicken in half and at fork fulls off the carcass.

The only thing I'd change is the skin crisping part, which didn't happen with the above approach, leaving the skin a bit rubbery.  Like others have mentioned I'll be pulling the chicken from the smoker and placing under the broiler for end stage crisping the next time I do this.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:27:15 PM by jbauch357 »
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Smoked spatchcock chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Nice looking bird Josh. By adding the additional sugar in the rub did you feel like it was too sweet or did it just help with the bark?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Nice looking bird. One of the things I like about spatchcocked birds is portioning them. With a good cutting board and a sharp chefs knife you can easily section the bird into portions without messing up the appearance. It is nice to have the food look as good as it tastes. As for the "rubbery" skin, that's SI chicken. You can pull the bird out short of the final IT and finish it on a hot grill or under the broiler in an attempt to crisp it up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:53:43 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jbauch357

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »
I didn't get any complaints from the wife regarding saltiness or sweetness, both of which she's very sensitive to - so I'm going to assume it just helped with the bark.

Also I didn't intentionally increase the sugar, I just didn't have the sugar the original recipe called for so I substituted the white sugar - next time I might try brown sugar and see what happens.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
That looks tasty, Josh!   As for the skin, you are correct that a quick run under the broiler will crisp it up.  Regardless, I know the chicken meat was great!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
Looks great Josh? Glad it tasted just as good.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
That looks picture perfect. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Nice job, Josh! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »
Josh- I tried this and liked it. Turned out good considering my PID failed in the middle and I had to switch to stock controller to finish the smoke. I used cherry, alder, and peach wood.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gunner28

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
Looks awesome !

G-28

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
Spatchcock chicken---had to you tube that.  Learning a lot on this forum.  Great pictures Josh, thanks going to be trying this soon
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

capsfan

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
I would like to try this with four birds. I have always beer canned my chicken at 230 for about 5 hours. Any idea how lucky nag it takes to get to 165 with this method.

TexasSMK

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 09:01:30 PM »
Finally tried Spatchcock Chicken.  It was incredible:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4122.0;topicseen
Thanks for the inspiration Josh.

Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber