Author Topic: What the ????  (Read 6461 times)

Durangosmoker

What the ????
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:43 AM »
So my local grocery store had this really cute 2 pound bit of pork butt on sale, and I had to buy it.  I gave it the usual mustard and dry rub marinade, but didn't brine it, and an overnight in the fridge to "get happy", and put it in the smoker at 4:30 pm.  Smoker set at 225 degrees.  it is now 3:00 am, and I took it out, but the internal temp is only 180 degrees.  My maverick says that the smoker temp was between 230 and 215, but why did it take over 10 hours for a 2 pound piece of meat and still not get up to 195 degrees?  Ambient temp around freezing. 
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: What the ????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »
It has been documented here quite a bit that small cuts of meat proportionately take a LONG time to smoke and the results usually are not as good as a larger cut.

I understand the allure of picking up a small cut for a quick smoke, but you would be way better off to stick with 7+ pound pork butts in the future.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
OK, lesson learned.  Just surprised the heck out of me. Thanks for the reply.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
I think there are a combination of factors. I just finished an ~13 lb packer brisket and was expecting it to take ~12 hours like the first one I did (which was ~12 lbs). This go around it cooked for damn near 24 hours! And I brined AND injected it beforehand! Guess I need to raise the cow myself and massage it daily (Kobe beef!) for consistency... But that would defeat the purposes of Lazy-Q.

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
I once had a 6.5lb butt take 26 hours but you have got me beaten-yours took five hours per pound, mine only took four. I don't think that any of us really know why. The larger butts all seem to be in the 1-2 hour/lb range and, imo, eat better. Cook larger butts, invest in a vacuum sealer, freeze and reheat leftovers. Leftovers are the laziest Q of all!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »
The big question is how did it taste Tony?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
Tman Tony, LOVE the graphics. Is that from your own invention?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
Greg-

Having some brisket for dinner tonight. When I sliced this morning (8 hour rest) it was pretty tasty sampling a few bites. I think it was more dry than my first brisket though.

Kari-

That's my HeaterMeter PID controller. You can read about it here:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765.msg19942#msg19942

I just changed some scripts to make it look pretty on the webpage graphics. Flames and cleaner sections I prefer more than the default it had.

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Guess I need to raise the cow myself and massage it daily (Kobe beef!) for consistency... But that would defeat the purposes of Lazy-Q.

Tony, nothing that involves beer and massage (Kobe beef) ever violates Lazy Q! ;) lol! ;D   Wonder if you could raise a Kobe pig? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
Guess I need to raise the cow myself and massage it daily (Kobe beef!) for consistency... But that would defeat the purposes of Lazy-Q.

Tony, nothing that involves beer and massage (Kobe beef) ever violates Lazy Q! ;) lol! ;D   Wonder if you could raise a Kobe pig? 

I guess it depends who's giving and receiving the massage!

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
I guess it depends who's giving and receiving the massage!

Touche! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!