Author Topic: Going for my first cook, wings and thighs. Any help would be great.  (Read 10154 times)

Killjoy

Well what I'm going to do is about 8 lbs of chicken thighs and 10 lbs of whole wings. I've brine them over night and I'm going to pull them out and rise and dry them off. Put them on trays and stick back in frig. Planning on removing the skin off of about half of them. To see what works best. Rub them down and cook at 250 for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.  Not sure on placement, but I was thinking of putting the thighs on top then the wings.

This will be my first smoke ever and it will be about 30 degrees out and a windchill of about 10 when I'm smoking. So I hope this works out.

Would love any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Oh and I will be doing ribs this coming weekend. So love to hear some feed back on that too. 

Thanks
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3
Better to Have and Not Need, Then Need and Not Have.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Going for my first cook, wings and thighs. Any help would be great.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
Paul,
If you have done any reading on the chicken forum yet, you've probably seen that the biggest issue is the skin.  If you are a skin eater, you will want to pull out of the smoke at about the 3/4 point and blaze on the grill to get some char and crisp up your skin. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
Planning on removing the skin off of about half of them. 
Not sure on placement, but I was thinking of putting the thighs on top then the wings.

I don't recommend doing either of these options. Skinless chicken will dry out more than skin on. Smoking wings and thighs is not overly complicated but also not simple. They cook differently due to size and bone structure. For your first several smokes I urge you not to add complications or variables. Stick with one type and size of meat to simplify cooking time. If your doing diferent rubs keep track of where you put them on the rack. Don't stack one rub or spice above another you wont get a true flavor.

The weather outside the smoke has little affect on what is happening inside, it no worries. No water pan added for chicken and do not plan on crispy skin unless you finish it on the grill or under a broiler. If crisping your chicken you will need to pull it at 155-160 then bring it up to 165 to be safe. I prefer 170 for my chicken but I only eat dark meat and it is better a little hotter.
Good luck and post pictures.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Killjoy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Thanks SuperDave.
I am a skin lover, but I don't have to have it. So discard is fine if need be. With as cold and windy as it is here not sure if I want to mess with the grill. Might use broiler on the oven.
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3

Killjoy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
Thanks Pork Belly
You make good points, I will take them into account. So are you saying don't add water pan? I was thinking of apple juice, I meant to put that in original post.
Thanks for your input.
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
Water pan just adds to the soggy skin factor.  Apple juice would be a nice add to your brine, which BTW adds all the moisture you need to eliminate the need for a water pan. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
I have made lots of wings...yesterday in fact. I brine them and rub them. I still put in a water pan because I know the skin will not crisp but I want lots of moisture during smoking which I think keeps them real juicy. I did put them on the grill, but they still don't get real crispy. I have tried them in a very hot oven which was better, but then a bit overcooked.

Next time after they come out of the smoker I am going to slather them in bbq sauce and then put them on the grille. This should crisp them up better. It is easy to overcook them.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Killjoy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Ok thanks
I'm pulling them out of brine now. Then patting them dry and putting them on trays and back in the frig to dry more. Then I'm going to rub them down. Any thoughts on my placement in the smoker? I'm still doing the thighs too. Probably biting of more then I should for my first time, but that's how I'm. I'm using 5oz of hickory.
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
5 oz of hickory is way too much. You only need 3 otherwise it will be over smoked and not taste very good. The chicken will probably cook in 2-3 hours. If you don't have a temp probe in the meat, you will have to check it after a couple hours. I would put the wings on the top shelf and thighs under them. Thighs will take longer. Cook at 235-250. Because of your outside low ambient temp, any opening and peeking will drop the temp a bit.

That's a lot of chicken you have there. Make sure it is thoroughly cooked by checking the internal temperature. You want at 165-170 degrees.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
I have never smoked as much chicken as you have here at one time. I am going by my experience with lesser amounts, but the principles are the same.

Killjoy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
Yeah, on second thought after looking at all that chicken. I'm only going to smoke the thighs today. And do the wings in a couple days. That's just too much chicken. What was I thinking! Thanks Barrel99 for your insight. Ok 5oz is to much. Glad I put that on here. So I'll just do one stick then. Yes I have a Maverick probe. So I'll be keeping an eye on them that way. I was thinking it would take about 2.5-3 hrs.

Have them all dry putting rub on now then in they go. I'm putting them in at the top.
Paul from The Boro, TN
Husband, Father
Smokin-It #3

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
That's probably a good idea Paul. I think you are ready to go. My chicken always comes out great when brined. I hope yours does too. Go get em!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
I do all birds at 250 there is nothing gained by low and slow on poultry.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »
I don't bother with water pans for poultry and always leave the skin on even if I plan to take it off afterward.

I also do all birds at 250. Without the internal fat and connective tissue to break down, low and slow is not necessary.

If you "were" to do wings and thighs at the same time, you would definitely want the thighs lower than the wings because they will take longer.

I found a great special on Turkey Thighs at our local grocery store yesterday. They were in two packs and regular price was $7-$8 dollars. But they had $4 off stickers on them as I am guessing they were approaching their sell by date. So, I bought 4 two-packs and immediately put them in my poultry brine overnight and smoked them this afternoon. They ended up going about 5.5 hours until 165. I put them under the broiler for about 5-7 minutes until the fat had rendered off and the skin got crispy. I too did not feel like uncovering the grill as it was snowing out and 12 degrees.

The Turkey Thighs were well received by both of my teenage boys and we will be doing again especially if I can find a deal like this again. ;)

Kind of unglamorous pictures on the paper plate, but no one felt like washing dishes tonight. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:31 AM »
Gregg-

Looks good, what kind of seasoning were you using there?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA