Author Topic: Genius idea?  (Read 16758 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Genius idea?
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
My buddy and I were discussing cold smoking and he proposed the idea of placing a vented box on top of our smokers that would use the exhaust smoke from our smoker to cold smoke the food item.  I'm visualizing some real possibilities.  What do you guys think?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Genius idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
So, you could cold smoke and warm smoke at the same time if you wanted to?

Very interesting idea. That could solve the issue of low air flow through the main box.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Something about using recycled smoke bothers me about that unless I missed something.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
I'm not sure it would be considered recycled smoke. It is just taking a little longer to get from the main smoke box to the cold smoke box.

It is a very popular method in home built smokers to run the smoke for a distance in a tube underground before flowing into the smoker. So, unless you were talking about somehow recirculating the smoke from the top back through the bottom again, I don't know that I would consider this recycled.

My thoughts anyhow.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Like I said, I am probably missing something here in the way it works. Exhaust smoke to me means used smoke so that's where I get concerned, unless the vented box is actually another burner. More info please Dave.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
In simplest terms, making an offset smoker by putting a vented box over the hole on the top of our smoker. The heat is primarily contained in our smoker while cool smoke passes into the "cold smoke box".  It is essentially how cold smoking has been done for 100's of years. 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
I think it would be easier to just run the SI at 100 or less and skip the extra box.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
I think it would be easier to just run the SI at 100 or less and skip the extra box.
That setting doesn't control heat gain from the smoking wood. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »

This isn't an option if you want to cold smoke though Brian. Specifically for cheese, you can't have your cheese go over 90 (preferred to not go over 75) or it will melt.

I think it is an interesting idea if you really want to do a lot of cold smoking at low temps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
I'm interested in how this could work. Kill two birds with one stone. Smoke a brisket in the chamber and cold smoke cheese in a "smoke trap" on top of the SI2. I don't really feel like buying cold smoking plates for the standard methods of cold smoking but if I could do it from the exhaust port on the top during a regular cooking session it would be worthwhile trying (e.g. cheese).

I'm guessing ambient air temperature is likely to drive the success of something like this. Along with the design of the "smoke trap" on top.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
For cheese, I thought this could be as simple as a cardboard box and a baking cooling rack.  I'm not sure about the 2 smokes at once as I'm not sure whether the smoke would have picked up any meat flavors / particles.  But with little to no investment in parts and a block a cheese, might be worth a try. 

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
Should work fine Dave as long as the SI box temp remains low. There is a lot of heat that comes out that exhaust. Here in Florida where my ambient temp is in the 70s I would need the minimum temp necessary to burn the wood, probably pellets.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
The cardboard box option is exactly what is recommended in my Big Chief directions.

Although with a little bit of scrap wood, I think it would be pretty darn easy to make a wood box as well. I think this would be a summer time project for me, but it is intriguing if nothing else.

It would be interesting to see what kind of temps you would get.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »
Gregg,
My other thought was taking the bottom out of an old mini chief, if one had one laying around. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Gregg,
My other thought was taking the bottom out of an old mini chief, if one had one laying around. 

Or just drilling some holes in the bottom. If the smoke can work around the Cold Smoke Plate, I would think it would be able to make its way through some drilled holes in the bottom. What way you would have some drip stop in case whatever you are smoking can drip.

I guess you could cover the top of the SI and poke a hole prior to setting the box on top too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND