Author Topic: Chicken Kabobs  (Read 2003 times)

Terry

• English Springer Rescue America, Inc.
Chicken Kabobs
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »
I want to make some chicken kabobs in my #1 .  Any advice?
Wood skewer?
Chicken, a wedge of onion, green/red pepper, and some cherry tomatoes. 
Can I assemble all the ingredients on 1 skewer or a skewer for each ingredient.
I usually do these on the grill and sometimes the chicken is not done or the tomatoes suffer a meltdown.  I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Terry
Chino Hills, CA, proud owner of a #1.
Retired, English Springer Rescue America volunteer.
STRIVING TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM.

Terry

• English Springer Rescue America, Inc.
Re: Chicken Kabobs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
Well, that was interesting.  Marinated everything in Italian Dressing for 2 hours.  I used wood skewers and assembled everything on a skewer (chicken, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, and some celery on the ends to prevent anything from falling off).  Brought the chicken up to 165 degs and smoker to 250 degs.   I used 1oz of hickory and 1oz of Apple wood.  A small container of water.

The chicken was a little dry and not that flavorful.  Everything else was good, but I'm sure it could have been better.  Later, when I cleaned up the smoker, l found all the moisture and Italian dressing in the drip pan underneath the smoker.

It's a learning curve.  ;)
Chino Hills, CA, proud owner of a #1.
Retired, English Springer Rescue America volunteer.
STRIVING TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »
When I do skinless chicken breasts, I always wrap them in bacon to prevent too much drying out of the meat.    One thought for the kabobs might be to wrap the chicken cubes in a half slice of bacon, which will also help to retain the marinade on the meat.   The bacon will probably not crisp up.     You could take the chicken to say 160F, and then do a quick finish on a hot grill to crisp up the bacon as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
Not everything on a kabob stick is created equal.  We do our kabob sticks with like items on each stick so that no items are over cooked waiting for some different item on that stick to get done. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah