Author Topic: Griswold  (Read 4602 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Griswold
« on: February 07, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »
Well I found an old griswold #8, no bottom smoke ring at an auction today.  I think I can sell the basting lid it came with to make the pan free.  Pretty clean shape, but needs touch up.

Here is what I found online

http://www.griswoldcookware.com/cleaning_%26_care.htm

I think some; DM? had thoughts on what to do or can add to this recipe.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Griswold
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
Nice, John!  Can you post some good closeup pics of it?  How it looks, to start, is how I determine a course of action.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
I'll prob just SOS pad the top, let the next person season if desired.  I hate to "mess" with stuff too much before selling it. 

Bottom is pretty good, thats not rust on the inside, a tad of black cake on junk around the edges/sides.

For $30 I'll make money on the lid and have a free decent bottom pan.

+ I told my wife to scratch off cast iron of the gift list!

PS, this is a grilling item, not for the SI.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
John,

I have a lot of Griswold...what I have done in the past before any lye or other cleaning, I would turn on my outdoor gas grill on high, and place the cast iron inside and close the grill lid.  I would let the piece on there for at least 2-3 hours to really cook off anything that is on there.  I would then let it cool (careful to not let it get wet and crack, so leave it in the grill to cool down slowly) and scrub with steel wool.  This usually completely cleaned the piece.  If it doesn't I went to the easy-off...

To season I would reheat in the grill to very high heat and wipe with canola or other...as it cooled I would continue to wipe with oil until cool to the touch.  Make sure to do both the cooking side and the outside...

This is all assuming you have a gas grill ;)

P2B
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
I don't think it is that bad I stick it in a roaring fire and let it roast until the fire dies. A wire brush and hot water will easily knock off any scale after that. Heat it on the stove top to cook out the water, then oil and re-season.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:24:53 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »
I don't think it is that bad I stick it in a roaring fire and et it roast until the fire dies. A wire brush and hot water will easily knock off any scale after that. Heat it on the stove top to cook out the water, then oil and re-season.

This!!
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
Update.   Cleaned and seasoned 325 deg with veggie oil.

For anyone looking for a tip, I bagged and used Easy Off Oven cleaner for 4 or 5 hours.  Just a cold rest

I could NOT BELIEVE WHAT CAME OFF.

And this was after a good SOS pad scrub.

I would recommend easy off for lightly dirty cast iron.  For a more deep clean more fire or lye might be needed.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
John, sorry I didn't see this earlier!  The EZ-Off trick is a good one.  Next time you get one, run it through the "self-clean" cycle in your oven before doing anything else.  That completely bakes-off any old seasoning, so you are dealing with completely "stripped" iron.  Then, you can decide what's best after that.  Dang, I guess I'd better get busy on the cast iron post!  I'll probably take an arrow or two on this one, but dropping them in a hot fire is no bueno, unless you want them warped!  "Controlled" heat is the key!

By the way - this can be used in the SI!  Great for putting beans in! ;)

That's a nice Griswold, by the way! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
I like the pour lips on it.   8)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
Divot is correct about warping the pan I should have been more clear. A the pans are placed in the fire pit and kindling and wood stacked over the top. Use a good hardwood that cleanly reduces to ash. The fire is lit and kept covering the pans as coals develop. the next day the cooled pans can be removed from the dead fire. This method was passed on to my mother from her neighbor in the 50's. The neighbor would carry her cast pans home to her father in Kentucky once a year when they would visit. Her father would roast them then re-season. The overnight roast in the coals removed the hard scale like buildup on the sides and bottom that develops from extended use. While the Easyoff appears to work wonders, the nostalgic appeal of the fire has its benefits.
- Sigmund Freud

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »
Beans in cast iron pan in SI smoker?

Please explain/expand.

John

PS, on the hunt for more Griswold!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:59:33 PM »
Top shelf centered under the vent hole. Leave them uncovered and don't stir. They should be perfect in 4 to 4.5 hours.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »
Divot is correct about warping the pan I should have been more clear. A the pans are placed in the fire pit and kindling and wood stacked over the top. Use a good hardwood that cleanly reduces to ash. The fire is lit and kept covering the pans as coals develop. the next day the cooled pans can be removed from the dead fire. This method was passed on to my mother from her neighbor in the 50's. The neighbor would carry her cast pans home to her father in Kentucky once a year when they would visit. Her father would roast them then re-season. The overnight roast in the coals removed the hard scale like buildup on the sides and bottom that develops from extended use. While the Easyoff appears to work wonders, the nostalgic appeal of the fire has its benefits.

Thanks for the explanation, Brian!  That sounds very reasonable.  I've seen a bunch of internet videos and such showing people laying their beautiful pans directly in a fire!  I should have known better that you would have a "controlled" approach to this! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Top shelf centered under the vent hole. Leave them uncovered and don't stir. They should be perfect in 4 to 4.5 hours.

Plus, the cast iron heats up and makes a great temp-stabilizing heat sink for the smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas