Author Topic: MEATLOAF MADNESS  (Read 7110 times)

Toni Baloney

• Thank heaven for little grills
MEATLOAF MADNESS
« on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
While I’ve smoked a lot of other meats now in my beloved new smoker, all with great results thanks to the advice/guidance/suggestions I’ve gleaned from this blog, meatloaf continues to be a favorite.  It’s not that it's any better than other meats I’ve smoked, but the improvement that smoking gives to the standard-issue oven-roasted meatloaf is significant enough to make folks stand up and take notice.  My neighbor’s comment after eating his first bite sums it up best … “who’da thunk?”   

I’ve learned a few things that I’ll share since my last post (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2644.0). 

DOUBLE THE RECIPE:  More meat takes longer to cook and gives it more time in the smoker = more smoky flavor.  This recipe doubled is a lot for me, but the loaf freezes beautifully whole or in individual slices.  (If you follow the recipe I shared before in the link above, don’t double the eggs – just add one more egg, not two more.  Also, don’t double the milk.)

MORE WOOD:  I increased the wood chunks to 3 ounces.  I switch between hickory, alder and apple wood and don’t detect any huge difference between them.

COOK IT TILL IT’S DONE:  The first couple I made I cooked until they were not quite done (about 155°), then refrigerated them overnight with plans to finish cooking thick slices on the grill.  Since then I’ve been cooking them until they’re completely done (160°-165°) for three reasons … 1) The longer cook results in a deeper, darker finished color on the pellicle-like skin that forms on the loaf, 2) if you are ready to eat right after the meatloaf is smoked, it’s fully cooked and ready to slice and serve after a brief rest, and 3) with only a couple minutes per side on the grill, there’s no worry about overcooking thick slices of meatloaf - they still come off juicy and delicious. 

BETTER THE NEXT DAY:  Fresh out of the smoker is unbelievably delicious, but like many other comfort foods, the flavor improves in the fridge.  Smoked meatloaf gets smokier when it’s wrapped in plastic wrap and spends a day or two in the fridge – the smoke penetrates deeper into the loaf.

REASSERTION #1:  I make a ketchup glaze to serve warm at the table with the meatloaf, but I don’t put it on the raw loaf before it goes into the smoker.  I did that once, and the glaze got most of the smoke – less so the meat – and the delightful skin didn’t form.  Better to pass the glaze at the table.

REASSERTION #2:  Sliced thick and grilled on a blazing-hot grill is the hands-down the ULTIMATE way to serve smoked meatloaf.  Smoked meatloaf burgers will take your breath away.

One more stop for smoked/grilled meatloaf on his way through town, and I think my brother is going to put me in his Will. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:45:45 PM by Toni Baloney »
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

• I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only vegetables.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: MEATLOAF MADNESS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
I'm all about the cold, meat loaf sandwiches with my aioli spread generously on both slices of bread. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
All good advice and the meatloaf looks great!  Thanks for sharing. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
           +1 Dave.

Thanks for the tips Toni.

I have been eating cold meatloaf sandwiches on white bread with ketchup since I was a kid. Something about plain old white bread ...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:08:28 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

AngieSmokes

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
My newbie comment: "Smoked meatloaf?! My mind is officially blown."
Smokin-It #2 in the PNW

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Newbie, welcome aboard.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/?s=meatloaf

Beef, pork, cheese combo or some shape or size is a wonder in the smoker.

Enjoy.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:32:46 PM »
Gotta admit, I've never heard "meatloaf" and "take your breath away" in the same sentence, but that's some pretty tasty looking loaf! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
Hey Toni, I made your meatloaf today and it came out great. Here's the details:
Doubled your recipe

Used 3 lbs chuck - good quality
3 eggs
Used Panko bread crumbs
Used mustard and Daves rub
   Everything else doubled

Let sit unwrapped in frig for 24 hours then
Covered it in mustard (not the bottom) and Famous Daves Rub

Used 3 oz apple combo of pellets, chips and a chunk.

Smoked at 225 for 4 hours until IT of 162. Internal temps ranged from the 162 to 170+ around some of the edges.

Let rest for 15 minutes...probably not needed.

Meat was excellent. Apple smoke was perfect...nice tasty bark...meat was moist and tender, but I would like it cooked a bit less. Texture was good, but I think less bread crumbs would make the texture even better...if it doesn't fall apart.

Glaze was good too. Used Turbinado sugar instead of brown.

Next time I would use 3 cups bread crumbs and take out at 160.

This is an excellent recipe!

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Toni Baloney

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
ARNIE, YOUR MEATLOAF IS A THING OF BEAUTY !!!

Thanks for the report.  ;D  I'm so glad you gave it a try.  I like the rub idea and your other little tweaks - so will give those a try myself.  I've been doubling the recipe myself since my original post -- heck, if you're going to the trouble, why not make plenty for leftovers?  I freeze the slices individually and it works great.  I love grabbing one from the freezer, thawing it, then tossing it onto a blazing hot grill for a meatloaf burger - it's AWESOME.   
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Nice job, Arnie!  You guys have me suddenly craving meatloaf! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »
Looks great, I am planning to add this to my to do list!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
The smoke adds a whole different flavor to the meatloaf. I thought about adding green pepper but decided not to because it can take over the flavor. The texture of this recipe makes it almost seem like you are cutting a piece of meat. I like meatloaf a little crumbly that's why I will cut back on the breadcrumbs next time. This was some good quality chuck normally sold at $5.99/lb, on sale for $2.99/lb ( from a store like Whole Foods). Next time maybe I will buy a chuck roast and have it ground.

I will try different spices as well. Meatloaf can handle lots of spices. I wonder if the loaf can be injected? Putting it on the grill sounds good too, but extra work...lol. Looking forward to meatloaf sandwiches. That glaze, cold, on cold meat loaf will be yum!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
My first meatloaf is in the smoker right now.  Used my step mothers recipe, which is remarkably similar to yours, but she adds green pepper and diced Swiss cheese to the mix.  I love the cheese, so I added it, but used your idea of chopped onion instead of the peppers.  I'm using a mix of ground Chuck, turkey, and pork.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Toni Baloney

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »
The addition of Swiss cheese sounds wonderful.  Please come back and tells us how it turned out.  Good luck.
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

Durangosmoker

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Well, I won't say mine was a home run, but it was a solid double.  I used 3 lbs of meat, divided into 2 loaves.  I used 1.7oz cherry and 1.1oz maple.  The smoker was set at 225.  Pulled when IT was 163, and foiled and toweled it in the cooler for 45 minutes before I was too hungry to wait any more. Result: Smoke flavor too intense - I think I'll try just 2 oz of wood next time.  That said, I will still eat it with pleasure, but I think it could be better. The texture was good, and it was nicely moist, just too smokey.  Perhaps an overnight in the fridge will help that?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.