Author Topic: Hello from outside of Pittsburgh,Pa.  (Read 8411 times)

es1025

Re: Hello from outside of Pittsburgh,Pa.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:33 PM »
Dave
You won't find a better smoker for the price and quality.  I have a #3 and its a beast.  I don't smoke that much but the extra space to smoke a ribs whole was worth the extra $$$ imo.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
So glad you found us, Dave!  If you've browsed around here much, you've probably noticed I'm more than a little excited about Smokin-It smokers! ;)   I was in the same boat as you, and your story sounds just like mine, close to 2 years ago!  You won't have buyer's remorse, and won't have any regrets.  Go with the biggest one that fits your budget - easy to do less in a big one, but not so easy to do more in a small one!  I have a #1 and a #2, and absolutely love the #2. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »
Welcome from Iowa, Dave! I just have a few words of advice for you... Buy the SI #2! you won't have remorse unless it's related to how much more meat you could have smoked so that you'd have plenty of joyful leftovers. I just finished 2 Boston Butt's in my smoker tonight and they put my friends into a food coma (this is a good thing...trust me). I believe after inviting a few friends over for dinner they will eventually start buying the meat, having me smoke it for them and we all share in the joy! Lots of meat... Lots of leftovers!

A foodsaver vacuum system should be on your radar as well if you get the smoker and have freezer space. The leftovers are just as good or better than the first time you eat the food!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Carp210

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Welcome from Iowa, Dave! I just have a few words of advice for you... Buy the SI #2! you won't have remorse unless it's related to how much more meat you could have smoked so that you'd have plenty of joyful leftovers. I just finished 2 Boston Butt's in my smoker tonight and they put my friends into a food coma (this is a good thing...trust me). I believe after inviting a few friends over for dinner they will eventually start buying the meat, having me smoke it for them and we all share in the joy! Lots of meat... Lots of leftovers!

A foodsaver vacuum system should be on your radar as well if you get the smoker and have freezer space. The leftovers are just as good or better than the first time you eat the food!

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a #2 along with the Auber.  I have owned and used a Food Saver for over twenty years and would not be able to function without one.  It is amazing that I have found very little negative about Smokin-it on line.   Seems the people that own one really, really love cooking with it .  I 'll be one of those in a few weeks myself.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Congratulations! ;D I think you chose the right size for your needs, and the best brand. Now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive! Try not to wet yourself when that thing of beauty arrives at your door like I did! What do you plan to smoke first? I did pork butt, since I figured a long smoke would get some good seasoning started for it's inaugural smoke. Also, butt is very forgiving as you get to know your new smoker.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
Congratulations! ;D I think you chose the right size for your needs, and the best brand. Now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive! Try not to wet yourself when that thing of beauty arrives at your door like I did! What do you plan to smoke first? I did pork butt, since I figured a long smoke would get some good seasoning started for it's inaugural smoke. Also, butt is very forgiving as you get to know your new smoker.

+1 on smoking a Boston Butt for the first smoke. It is forgiving and pretty much ensures that your first smoke is going to knock the socks off of your family and friends.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
Welcome to the family, Dave!  You won't be disappointed...I see lots of happy smokes in your near future!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

goldentouch

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
Welcome from Texas
Eddie from East Texas