Author Topic: Greetings from Panama City Beach Florida  (Read 10693 times)

H3

Greetings from Panama City Beach Florida
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »
Hello Everyone, my name is Howard and I just ordered a #2 yesterday. I have been using a Weber Genesis with a smoker box for about a year. The food came out great......sometimes. I wanted to get a dedicated smoker and I thought a Masterbuilt would be good enough. Lucky for me, the guy before me bought the last one at the Bass Pro Shop in Destin. I did some more research and discovered the SI #2. I have spent hours reading this forum and judging from everyone's success with these smokers, I am very excited to get mine. Thanks for all the great information.
Howard from Panama City Beach

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Greetings from Panama City Beach Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
Welcome from Colorado Howard, you are going to love the #2. I predict some excellent smoked meat in your future!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
Welcome Howard from ND!

You will love your Smokin-It!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:57 PM »
Welcome Howard from DE!   You have found the right place, and lucky for you the guy in front got the last MB!   I love my #2 and smoke pretty much every weekend, now going on two years.   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »
Lucky you, Howard!  You dodged the MES bullet, and found the best smoker, and coolest BBQ on the planet!!  What more could a guy hope for? 8)

I'm an old Weber gasser guy, and have tried every way you can imagine to smoke meat in it!  I even went so far as to remove the left grate, and put a big pan of charcoal in there for indirect heat.  OK results, but a real pain in the butt, and just not worth the effort!  No matter how hard you try, sometimes you just can't turn that sow's ear into a silk purse! ;D

Your smoking meat life is about to get SO much easier!  And, you'll find yourself using it so much more frequently than the Weber.  Just too easy not to! 

Welcome to "Club Lazy Q!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:28 PM »
welcome from Iowa Howard. You'll love your new #2 smoker. I sure have in the month I've had mine. It's addicting to use and the food produced is so much better than anything else I've had around here. Make sure to take lots of pics and document your experiences back here on the forums. It keeps us all thinking about and looking for great new ideas and success stories!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

H3

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to be here. Since I'm on the Gulf Coast, I have the freshest fish and oysters you've ever seen. I can't wait to make some and I love smoked tuna. I will share my best ideas. There is not a lot of seafood (except for salmon) on the forum...I will see if I can change that :)

Longhornamus

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »
Welcome Howard from Texas!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »
Welcome Howard from NJ....I just got my #2 and cart 2 days ago, but due to ice and snow on the patio, the cooking will have to wait for now  >:(

You will be very impressed with quality of the build I am sure.  Like you, I was saved at the last minute and found this fabulous site!!!  Please post the seafood results as I am thinking along the same lines (anything goes!!).

P2B
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Welcome from Michigan to you and P2B, I don't believe I said hi to him yet. I also was a near-miss on buying a Masterbuilt. I love my #3. P2B don't let snow and ice stop you. I had the boy shovel a path to my #3 so I could make ribs last Sunday. He had to shovel again so I could get the ribs out of the smoker five hours later.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
Brian,

I wish I had Howard's weather right about now...I would love to shovel, but the mass froze so quickly and before I could get to it....need to wait for a warmer day to thaw or loosen the mess so I can make a path!!!  Soon......

P2B
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
I had the boy shovel a path to my #3 so I could make ribs last Sunday. He had to shovel again so I could get the ribs out of the smoker five hours later.

I have one of those snow shovelers, too, Brian!  I was going to say he's a "Automatic Snow Shovel," but I find he has to be kick-started most of the time - not so "automatic."  lol! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
Welcome Howard from another Floridian. Your on the right track with the SI. It is a worthy purchase. Don't let the shipping cost get to you. It only bothered me until my first smoke.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
+1!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

H3

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
The #2 is on the UPS truck for delivery. So I hope I have a nice big box waiting for me after work. The weather will be great this weekend and I'm planning on seasoning it tomorrow, getting some baby backs at Sam's Club and doing my first smoke on Sunday. I plan on doing mustard and rub then putting then in fridge overnight. Apple juice in pan and 235 for 5 hours. Wish me luck.