Author Topic: Turkey ---------------- Did i do something wrong ?  (Read 6115 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Turkey ---------------- Did i do something wrong ?
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
Well guys , I did Turkey legs &  Wings in the Smoker for 3 1/2  hours @ 2:35 Temp ( no brine ) just left in water over night , brushed on EVO - seasoned - prior to cooking and threw them back in the fridge for 3 hours until Smoke time so my Question is .........................................even though everything tasted good why did the skin turn out so bad which looked very tasty to the eye but .....................was very rubbery almost like eating  shoe leather any suggestions would be helpful . Thank you , Artie   
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Turkey ---------------- Did i do something wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Hi Artie,

You aren't going to be able to get crispy skin in these smokers. The best bet is to pull them off about 5-10 degrees below finish temperature and finish them up on the grill or in the oven.

This is a pretty well documented issue and it happens with all electric smokers that are limited to the 250-275 degree range.

I usually just discard mine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
Gregg is absolutely correct. Feed the skin to the dog(or cat)-leaves more room for ribs in your fat allowance!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
Thanks guys, and to tell you the truth I did throw them in the oven last night for a few minutes just to see if it would make any difference  but it didn't .
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »
I either use the grill or the broiler. I think the high heat is important. Make sure you watch closely no matter which method you choose, because you can go from perfect to black char real quickly. Guess how I know that?  ::)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
I suggest buying the "canine" accessory if don't already have one.  :o
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
If you use the oven it has to be up as high as it goes...like 500.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
Here's my day of enlightenment regarding poultry skin, for which I am now at peace with:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2158.0   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »
God I love this site because a dummy like my self who is new to all of this or site is learning something new everyday on how to .............................Tony , just curious ......because I will be trying your recipe for Rasberry Chipotlei , Bacon wrapped , Parmesan Chicken , next week maybe going with Thigh's or Breasts  Skin on or Skin off .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
Go skinless - that's what the bacon wrap is for. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
+1 ... I always do the bacon wrap!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of your help and ideas because it never hurts to ask & Tony Skinless it is ....................LOL
[I[I .............

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
My personal opinion on poultry is to either leave the skin on and not eat it, or take the skin off and wrap in bacon. I wouldn't do poultry totally naked. The outer layer of the exposed meat would get dry I would think. If you are not going to wrap in some other kind of fat (bacon, sliced pork belly, or salt pork), leaving the skin on would help keep the meat moist. Or if you insist upon smoking it naked, then I think I would use a water pan.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

es1025

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
+1 for wrapping in bacon. I done that with chicken breasts, thighs, came out great.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
There isn't much that bacon doesn't make better! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas