Author Topic: Ribs and Potatoes - Desire improvements  (Read 9001 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Ribs and Potatoes - Desire improvements
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
Don, when you use the brick for a heat sink, you might consider just covering the top in foil, and leave the sides/bottom unwrapped.  To be more effective, it needs to absorb heat, rather than reflect a lot of it.  Just a thought... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

niceguy0427

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »
OK. That's what I like about this forum - I'm always learning something.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:40:05 PM by niceguy0427 »
Don - Idaho
Model#2

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
So, I did another batch of Ribs and Potatoes yesterday and they turned out "PERFECT"! Spectacular, Amazing, Superb!

This go around was a little different. Weather outside was a bit warmer (30's to lower 40's). I used 2 rack of ribs cut in half and only did 2 potatoes with them. These ribs were meaty but had slightly less thickness to them than my last batch (guess I know what to look for at Sam's from now on for "preferred ribs"). I nuked the potatoes for 7-9 minutes in the microwave just before they went in the smoker. I also nuked (~8-10oz for ~ 50 seconds) the apple cider to make it warmer at the beginning of the smoke and not be such a big heatsink next to the smoke box. I put the thin racks of ribs on the very top shelf and the thicker ones 2 shelves below that. I spritzed the ribs with apple cider just before they went in. I had a probe this time at top shelf to watch box temps. I set to 235 for another 5.5 hours no peek session. I opened box at 5.7 hours and they looked done (meat pulled up on bones). Company hadn't arrived yet so I set box to 140 and closed it back up. Around 6.3 hours I pulled ribs out and cut them up. They were very soft and moist and obviously ready to fall of the bone with very little effort.

Visitors loved them and most importantly "I loved them". I think I finally found the sweet spot I've been looking for on these rib smokes! While I was monitoring the box temps I noticed they appeared to mostly hover around 230-250. I had dial set for 235 so I think the heat was at least on the warmer side of the dial. I don't believe this was the case when my outside temps were zero and below. That, or my heat on those other sessions were going more to the cider and potatoes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:52:42 PM by TmanEater »
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
Looks like you nailed it Tony. I'm reviving an old thread but thought I'd add my 2 cents. 
I smoked 2 racks of St Louis ribs (halved to fit the SI-2)  and added 4 potatoes (olive oil & rub) to top shelf beside 2 half racks. The other Ribs were 1 shelf down.
5 hrs no peek and everything was very near perfect. Spuds were very crispy and well done.
Smoked at 235 and thanks to the Auber, temp stayed spot on.
I read Greg's post about up to 8 hrs on St Louis ribs so I'm not sure if my ribs may have been smaller or what. I'm preparing some Baby Backs for this weekend and decided to read up on the subject since I don't utilize my SI-2 nearly as much as I should.
My plan is to do almost the same again: 3 racks, 4 spuds (top) at 350 for 5 hrs no-peek. Apple (maybe pineapple) in the Miss lilly up against the wood box which will have appx 3 oz of almond/apple/hickory mix in some manner. A 2nd mini loaf pan on the other side will have warm water from the start. I have used warm juice previously, just dumb luck I guess.
My biggest problem is mastering the wood foiling. Have had puffing and ashes and last time out I foiled all but the top and got some smoke but not as much as normal and ended the smoke with the wood mostly intact but charred. A lot less foil is planned for now!

PS: Tony, luvin the new avatar... huge improvment  ;)

Barrel99

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:23:37 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks Arnie I get it..  ;D my spuds were great so no nails needed..

Barrel99

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
I only use plain water in the pan cause I haven't found much of a difference using juice, beer or anything else, and always take the hottest water that comes from the tap. If I wasn't lazy, I would boil it, then put it in the pan. This way I get moisture very quickly.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
    I agree totally Arnie.  Even though I usually use juice, I don't think that there is any difference than when using tap water...  :-\

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »
Hello Arnie & Ralph -

Nuke some water in a coffee cup if you don't want to wait for the tap to get hot and waste water waiting for it. I don't really miss my old avatar. You guys reviving this post are making me want some meat in the smoker.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA