Author Topic: Ribs and Potatoes - Desire improvements  (Read 9000 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Ribs and Potatoes - Desire improvements
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »
Today I smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs on top 3 shelves. Ribs were very meaty (from Sam's club). On the bottom shelf I had ~8 potatoes and then a mini loaf of cold apple cider next to smoke box. I ran 235 for 5.5 hours no peek. Gregg (NDKoze) mentioned I should go longer next time on the Sam's thick ribs. 6-8 hours acceptable on this for no peek? I also felt the potatoes weren't cooked. I nuked them 2 mins after the smoke and they were still pretty firm when eating. Outside temps were ~20-30 today during the smoke. Are potatoes a heat sink that take away from the ribs? Good/Bad to cook together with the ribs? Do I need to warm the refrigerated apple cider before putting in smoker to get moisture going faster in the box? Nuke potatoes before smoke? Cook everything longer? 

Any suggestions are welcome as I'm looking to improve ribs to stay moist and be "closer" to fall of the bone for future guests.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Ribs and Potatoes - Desire improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »
I have had St Louis ribs require 8 hours. 8 might be too long for baby backs though. But, 6-7 would not be out of the ordinary.

I don't think the temps played much of a factor. I have smoked a lot of meat at your temps and lower without any adverse effects.

You start checking at 5 hours and if they need more time, shut the door and let them go for another 30 minutes, checking every 30 minutes until they are done to your liking.

I have been wanting to try potatoes, but haven't yet. But I think it is a great idea and I know a lot of people here do it and rave about them. I think most (but not all) put them above the ribs especially in the #1/#2 smokers as the potatoes do cause a heat sink especially with that many potatoes. With the extra space in the #3, you may get away with putting them below them ribs. Depending on the size of the taters I think I would nuke them for 5-6 minutes prior to smoking. I like my potatoes well cooked, so your time may vary.

I haven't done it, but I think heating the water pan juice is a great idea.

We'll see what the others have to say, but these are my thoughts.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »
I agree with Gregg on checking the ribs every 30 minutes after the initial 5 hours...my ribs typically run 5.5 hours, and they are generally pretty meaty.  As for the taters, I put them on the top shelf above the ribs (I have the rib rack) and they are done within the 5.5 hours, so you might try putting them above the ribs for the next smoke.    The other option, I guess, would be to remove the taters after 5 hours, wrap in foil and pop into the oven to finish.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
I have a #2.  Potatoes are always done when ribs are done.  No need to pre-cook.  I put my potatoes under the meat (i like them to be basted by the rendered fat).  Never had any issues done like that.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
I have a #2.  Potatoes are always done when ribs are done.  No need to pre-cook.  I put my potatoes under the meat (i like them to be basted by the rendered fat).  Never had any issues done like that.

Walt, you using small potatoes or reasonable size potatoes for baked potatoes? I did what you mentioned and thought the potatoes were not done. I did not have a box temp thermometer in this time around. I'll have to start paying closer attention with temps down the road and see how things are behaving with various loads and configurations of meat and potatoes.

Tony from Marion, IA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »
I always use full size baked potatoes and 5.5 hours is enough time for them to be pretty soft.   I would suggest monitoring the box temp on your next smoke...it sounds like you might not have been getting enough temp (235F+) during most of the smoke time.   When I set to 235F, I get swings of +-20F on the box temp and everything is ready at 5.5 hours.   However, I haven't smoked in 20F weather recently!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
I use all size potatoes but have used the big ones many times without any issue.  I would agree if your ribs & potatoes were not completely done then your average temp is probably not reaching 225.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »
Trick to quicker potatoes, SS spike or skewer to transfer heat to the core.  These are homemade but check restaurant supply stores and you will likely find something similar.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

niceguy0427

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
OK, I just smoked 1 rack of Baby backs and 6 small potatoes last night.

Baby backs with yellow mustard and Famous Dave's rib rub on the top shelf and 6 small potatoes on the next shelf down (under the ribs). I nuked the potatoes for 9 minutes then rubbed Avocado oil and Dave's rib rub on them. I added a small pan of Cranberry/Cherry juice on one side of the wood box and a brick wrapped in tin foil on the other side of the wood box. I used 3 oz. Cherry wood. I smoked for 5.5 hours no peeking. I set the temp at 1 notch above 225. Outside temp was in the low to middle 30's.  The ribs and the potatoes came out perfect!
Don - Idaho
Model#2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Ok Don, so now I hungry....  :) Nice job!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
Way to go, Don!  Ribs look spot on  :-X
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »
Looks great! Nice job. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
Nice, Don! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »
Don, looks better than my last attempt.  So, 9 minute nuke of taters before smoke was something I didn't do.  Also, less load in whole box (1 rack ribs). Why a brick wrapped in foil? That threw me off.

Tony from Marion, IA

niceguy0427

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 07:00:09 PM »
When I smoke something it tends to be a small amount. The following is something Tony the DivotMaker said to me - "It's kind of like an empty smoker - the meat is not enough of a heat sink to stabilize the temp like when you're doing larger quantities.  I would recommend a water pan on one side of the smoke box, and a brick or pan of sand, on the other side.  You need enough heat-absorbing mass inside the smoker to stabilize temps."

I had really large temperature swings smoking small amounts of meat until I added a brick next to the wood box. In your case smoking 3 racks of ribs and some tatars I wouldn't add a brick. I have smoked a couple of racks of ribs and some tatars with no brick and the results are great. I ONLY use a brick when I smoke a SMALL amount of meat! I wrap it in tinfoil to keep the drippings off the brick - easy cleanup! As far as the tatars go I mostly use small ones and I always nuke them for 7-10 minutes before smoking. These make awesome fried potatoes for breakfast. I hope this helps you some.
Don - Idaho
Model#2