Author Topic: Cabinet Maker for Wood Scraps?  (Read 7772 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabinet Maker for Wood Scraps?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
I detect it first by the change in the color of the smoke..the thin blue smoke becomes a darker and thicker gray smoke.   As the temp continues to ramp up, I then see heavy "puffs" of smoke where a puff will appear, then no smoke, and then another puff, etc.  Sometimes it ends there and I conclude the combustion has been avoided.   If combustion does happen, then the final observation is a huge "belch" from the smoker...like a shot of hot air escaping from the top and around the door.   When a remote temp probe in the smoker, you will also noticed a spike in the temp within the smoker.  After that, then the regular smoke starts and everything returns to normal.   

If combustion is going to occur, it will happen within the first 45 minutes--for me, it is usually when the smoker hits around 180-200F.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »
SD, that is usually when wood, oxygen, and heat come together....identified by smoke and flame...   :D Actually the belch is the indicator on the SI.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
Dave - you'll know it when it happens, if you're watching the smoker.  Gray, dense smoke, pulsating puffs, and eventually smoke coming out of every gap in the smoker.

If you're not watching when it happens, you'll see distinct blackening on the door, even with and above the smoke box. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
Dave - you'll know it when it happens, if you're watching the smoker.  Gray, dense smoke, pulsating puffs, and eventually smoke coming out of every gap in the smoker.
I thought you told me that this was lazy Q.  LOL. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
I thought you told me that this was lazy Q.  LOL.

Hehe.  Yeah...   ;)   I meant, if you happen to be outside when it happens, you'll see it!  That's why I included how to detect it after the fact! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!