Author Topic: Pork roast (shoulder?)  (Read 6050 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Pork roast (shoulder?)
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
When we typically buy pork to roast we'll buy what I think is called a pork shoulder.  It has a thick layer of skin around a fatty sub-layer and when we roast it (or slow cook it on the grill) I've always left the skin on.

I'd like to do one in my new #2 and wonder what the general opinion is as to leaving the skin on or removing it.  I know that the rub won't penetrate it but I am planning on injecting it with a store bought cajun garlic so it will have some internal flavoring and will use a rub on all the exposed meat.  Will I be wasting time that could better be spent on a pork butt or should it turn out okay? 

Appreciate your comments.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork roast (shoulder?)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »
I'm sure it will be great. I would score the skin to allow some rub to penetrate. The little diamond shaped bits of skin will crisp up nicely. If you are cooking it to slice as smoked roast pork it will be a great cut of meat. However if you were to try and make pulled pork you will have miked results. The lower shoulder is not marbled with fat like the upper section that is cut off to make the "Boston Butt". Good luck and post some pics.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

damnfingers

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
Thanks for your answer, Pork Belly.  Since I was really hoping to make pulled pork I think I'll go with a pork butt instead of the shoulder then...haven't bought anything yet.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
Fingers - go for a "Bone-in Boston butt" pork shoulder for pulled pork; you'll like the results.  The shoulder roast you mentioned, in your first post, was most-likely a "picnic" roast.  I've never seen skin left on a Boston butt, but it's common on the picnic.  The picnic is the lower part of the front leg, and is shaped more like a ham shank.  The Boston butt, also sometimes called a blade roast in some parts of the country, is the upper part of the front leg where it meets Porky's shoulder blade bone.  Amazing that two cuts, so close together, can produce such different results.  The picnic cut is great for slicing, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
damnfingers,

Do you happen to have a picture of what you have?
The butt is sometimes sold with the skin intact...especially this time of year because it's often used to make Pernil and Pernil isn't Pernil without the skin.
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
The butt is sometimes sold with the skin intact...especially this time of year because it's often used to make Pernil and Pernil isn't Pernil without the skin.

Good to know.  That must be a northern thing - I've never seen a Boston butt with skin down south, but others might have.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

damnfingers

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Okay...this is what I ended up buying at the Keesler AFB Commissary (grocery store).  Looks good, hope it's going to taste good.  I hope to have this as pulled pork on New Years Day - from the size can anyone give me an estimate of total cooking time?  I have the Model #2.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
For my #3 smoking at 225, I usually estimate 2 hours per pound and add a few for rest. So, I would guess you would be looking at 20-24 hours.

I know some can get butts done in 1.5 hours, but mine always go 2+ hours per pound.

I like to overestimate. If it gets done early you can lower your temp to 140 and hold it in the smoker for several hours before you double foil wrap and rest in a cooler for 2 hours with towels on top.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »
My butts in the #3 always take a good 2 hours per pound at 225-235. It seems the #1 and #2 take less time from watching all the forum posts.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
I always plan for 2hrs/lb, but recently my BBs have taken less time.  I smoked a 8# butt a couple of days ago that was done in 13 hours, which works out to the 1.5 hour guideline.   I also brine the butts for at least 12 hours.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

damnfingers

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
Quick question...can I stick the meat thermometer down the smoke opening into the roast to get a temperature instead of opening the door?  Is that what most people do?

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Yes.
~Martin

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
Yes...if you have a Maverick or similar remote temp probe, you can run the line from the box through the top hole and plug it in to the temp device.  Works great, and keeps the door closed!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
Beautiful butt, fingers! ;)   I hardly ever have a butt go more than 1.5 hrs per pound, but I allow for 2 hrs/lb.  You're generally pretty safe at that.  If it hits 195 earlier, just double-wrap in HD foil and put it in a portable cooler with towels on top.  It will keep for several hours just fine, and the rest is good for it anyways.  You want to do that, at the end of the cook, for at least 30-min to 1 hour - makes a big difference in the moistness of the meat!
Tony from NW Arkansas

damnfingers

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »
Thanks all...fingers crossed all goes well and we're eating well on New Years Day.  I'll update later.  By the way, I'm using a rub recommended in "Slow Fire - The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue" by Ray "Dr BBQ" Lampe (also a Christmas present).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:20:50 PM by damnfingers »