Author Topic: Typical temp swings on #3....  (Read 4901 times)

boog1455

Typical temp swings on #3....
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Hey guys, great to be here and love reading all the post.  Just got my Model 3 a week or so ago and wasted no time burning in followed by a couple racks of bbr followed the next day by a couple of fatties..... And OMG.  2 things I noticed very quickly different from my previous smoking days.
1. When you guys say spare the wood, you mean it.  Dropped probably 7-8 ounces in the tray for the ribs and although they turned out ok I was really worried I had ruined them when I saw how dark the bark was.....totally my error and it won't happen again.

2.  Of more concern is the wide swing in temp I noticed while cooking fatties. Santa brought me a Maverick which I put to use on the second cooking and I noticed with smoker set on 235 or so my temp variation would be from 220-270.... Which I though was a bit extreme.  Thoughts?
Joe from South Georgia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Typical temp swings on #3....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »
Yeah, 7-8 ounces is way overkill. ;) Typically for ribs, you will only want to use 2-3 ounces and for longer smokes like butts/briskets you'll use 5-6. Really 6 ounces is probably the most you are ever going to use for any smoke.

Here is a thread that includes a guide on Cooking Times, Temps, and Woods:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Regarding the temp swings, for a smoke with a relatively small piece of meat in the #3, the swings that you experienced are totally normal and won't affect the results.

If this really bothers you, you can get an Auber and that will hold your swings between 1-2 degrees typically. I haven't bothered with an Auber as I don't care about the swings at all. I will put my results up against an Auber smoked product, and doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

That being said, the Auber does offer some cool features such as programmability. You can program specific steps such as smoke at 150 for the first hour, bump up to 225, smoke until the internal temp of the meat hits 195, and then put the smoker in warming mode at 150. This is just an example of what you can do with the Auber.

I have pretty much bought all of the options except for the Auber, so I'll probably get one at some point. But it is definitely not needed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
I have not purchased the Auber, either.  I am OK with the temp swings, but I do monitor in the beginning just to be sure that the swings average out to my desired setting.   I have also noticed that the swings vary from smoke to smoke, which I assume has something to do with how much meat I have in the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
Gregg.

That chart should be included when the new smoker package arrives!   A must have reference for the SI.

FYI to everyone.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

boog1455

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the imput.... I, too, had looked at the auber but it's way too early for me to think about that.  I'm kinda digging the learning process im going through now.  Just wanted to make sure my temp swings were within range.  Up to now, on my gas weber, I just adjusted the flame to the temp and it basically never budged.... But then again I was running out there about ever 20" to make sure it was maintaining. Now with the maverick I just glance at it while chilling in the house :)..
Joe from South Georgia

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »
Don't sweat the swings, Boog.  Sounds like you're off and running!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
But then again I was running out there about ever 20" to make sure it was maintaining. Now with the maverick I just glance at it while chilling in the house :)..

Congratulations...you are embracing the beauty of "lazy Q"!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
Boog thats normal temp swings.

I might suggest a scale for measuring your wood. In this machine, less is more.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?