Author Topic: Cook Times  (Read 11407 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Cook Times
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »
Too be sure the food looks great.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »
Well, here's one more last thought on this line. In the attached picture you see the chips box after the meat loaf smoke. It was done at 140 for 30 minutes and the balance of the 3.5 hours at 225. I was surprised that it wasn't all ash. I am wondering if, because of altitude the chips don't smoke as much. Thoughts?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Bob, have you always used that chip screen for those size of wood chips?  That sure doesn't look right to me.  I wonder if running it at 140 warmed the box enough that the element only had to come on in short spurts to achieve the 225 and maintain it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »
Pretty big "chips," Bob.  I've actually never seen chips that big, which probably explains your lack of burn.  Chunks won't burn right with the chip screen in, and many of those are certainly more like chunks than chips.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »
Pretty big "chips," Bob.  I've actually never seen chips that big, which probably explains your lack of burn.  Chunks won't burn right with the chip screen in, and many of those are certainly more like chunks than chips.

I've burned chunks multiple times with my chip screen in and generally don't have issues with the wood being mostly or all ash when the smoke is complete.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 01:10:05 AM »
Those chips look like what I get from Home Depot. Pretty big size.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
I didn't consider chip size. Good call Arnie, these actually came from HD. Want to use these up before Maine hardwood. I'll try without the screen and see how it goes.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »

I've burned chunks multiple times with my chip screen in and generally don't have issues with the wood being mostly or all ash when the smoke is complete.
Do you do a ramp up on your heat?  I'm still thinking that Bob's ramp up might have put enough insulation on the chips to get them from fully burning.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Using chips without the screen can allow them to drop through and come into direct contact with the heating element. That may cause you some combustion issues.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
I have some Charbroil Oak Barrel chips that are pretty big chips too and I had the same problems with them not getting much smoke out of them with the chip insert in there. The next time I use them, I think I will try without the chip insert. I would say 90% of the chips would not go through the screen. I'll just pick out the bigger chips so I don't have to worry about the 10% of smaller ones.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
Also, make sure the chips are near the back of the smoker where the element gives the most heat. I have experimented with chips and pellets and for me decided they are not worth using. Stick to the chunks and try the Maine products. They will turn to ash if near the hot part of the element.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:20:38 PM by Barrel99 »

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »
On my model 4, the hot spot is in the middle of the "V" of the "M" shaped element.  And just for fun, I had a successful result with a foiled chunk set at the bottom of the wood pan (without opening the door). 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
I definitely use mostly chunks. But there is a purpose for chips and that is for low temp smokes where there is not enough heat to get chunks smoldering.

You can cut your chunks down, but then they are just chips right?

My element is definitely a little hotter toward the back, so on low temp smokes I put my chips toward the back.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
FYI. I just put up a new topic on chunk placement.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2773.0

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
Tony, my comment about chunks not burning well with the chip screen was based on several user comments, over time.  I only use chunks, and don't have a chip screen, so I was just passing-along what others have said.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!