Author Topic: Is there such a thing as "wood quality" that effects flavor?  (Read 2087 times)

smythe

Is there such a thing as "wood quality" that effects flavor?
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
Hickory that came with the smoker added great smoke flavor. When it was used up, i purchased a bag of Weber hickory chunks. I swear theres a subtle but recognizable difference in smoke flavor from the Weber wood, which for lack of a better term, i would say is harshness. Am i imagining it? Is the difference due to more bark on the chunks?  Something else? Just curious if anyone has experienced differing qualities of the same wood species that effects flavor. Thnx.

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Is there such a thing as "wood quality" that effects flavor?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
Definitely!!!!!
There's a lot to consider.
Heart wood is different than sap wood.
There are several different hickories...all have a different flavor.
The age and the overall quality of the wood matters.
Some places even sell moldy must or spalted woos etc. that definitely has an affect on the flavor.
Bark to wood ratio can matter.
Terroir matters.

~Martin
~Martin

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but I typically do not like hickory I also find a bitter or harsh note in it. They dowels supplied with my #3 were not too bad, just not preferred to a fruit wood or sugar maple.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Different strokes, and where you're from, affect smoke flavor preference.  Not a lot of hickory up north, so Brian's preference is certainly alright!  While I love many of the fruit woods (especially cherry), it there were only "one" wood we could use for smoking, my hope is that it would be hickory!  I grew up smelling hickory at almost every BBQ joint I've been to, and to me, it smells like BBQ!

To your question about different tastes of hickory - absolutely!  All hickory is not created equal, and where the wood comes from is a factor.  Good-quality hickory is great; over-dry, or too much bark hickory is bad.  I have used the dowels from SI (which are a really good-tasting hickory, all heartwood), and hickory from Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods, which have also been very good.  A lot of the bagged "big box" store woods (to include Weber) are usually too dry - which is probably where some of your bitterness is coming from.  You may actually be getting a little combustion, which definitely changes the profile of the smoke.

Good, quality wood, and not too much of it, always yields the best results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!