Author Topic: #2 vs #3  (Read 4269 times)

jp

#2 vs #3
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
I am considering buying either an SI2 or an SI3.  I am new to smoking and have done a lot of research and this smoker appears to be one of if not the best line on the market.  I had been considering a Bradley but am concerned about what users have to say about them and the quality sounds much cheaper than one of the SI models.  I can't find the difference between the 2 and 3 anywhere on the site any info would be appreciated. Thanks

cookingdude555

Re: #2 vs #3
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
I don't have either, I am waiting for the SI3 to come back in stock. The SI3 is just bigger. You can fit ribs and brisket in without having to cut them. You can just fit more. This is why I am waiting for the SI3 to come back in stock before placing my order. I see it like the large big green egg I bought six years ago. Eventually I wanted the extra large to fit more food. This time I am starting off with the size I want.
John - Utah

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
I don't have either, I am waiting for the SI3 to come back in stock. The SI3 is just bigger. You can fit ribs and brisket in without having to cut them. You can just fit more. This is why I am waiting for the SI3 to come back in stock before placing my order. I see it like the large big green egg I bought six years ago. Eventually I wanted the extra large to fit more food. This time I am starting off with the size I want.

That's basically why I got a #3 instead of a 2!

It's worth the wait!  I used to smoke 6-8 times a year. Love it so much, I'm smoking once or twice a week.

I'd highly recommend the seafood rack. Smoked salmon and other fish is one of our favorites now.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Here is the info on the 3, before Steve sold out. Hope this helps.

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_p/smkmdl3.htm
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jp

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I figured it was just bigger bust wasn't sure how much bigger and at what price.  Thanks again

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Besides the heating element being stronger.  The racks on the #2 are 15 x 15 inches. 

The #3 15 x 20 inches.

If I recall.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
jp,

Remember the listing was prior to selling out. I am not sure of future pricing.

Also see this link:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2433.msg16519#msg16519
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:07:00 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
You don't want a Bradley, I used a one for over a year before the owner needed it back. I put some wear on it. He didn't mind because I was supplying him with bacon and other treats. I bought the #3 because I wanted that extra space and larger element. I have no regrets. The extra cost between a #2 and #3 is quickly overcome when you realize the savings of not buying Bradley wood Pucks. An 8 hour smoke in a Bradley is about $8 that adds up quick.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
You came to the right place, JP!  The size really depends on your needs.  If you want to smoke for lots of folks at one time, or need to do full packer-cut briskets and whole racks of ribs, the #3 is the way to go.  The difference between the #2 and 3 is depth; 15" on the 2, and 20" on the 3.  5" may not seem like a lot, but for the large cuts, its everything.  I, personally, use the #2, but only smoke for 3 on a regular basis.  While I would like to have a #3, it doesn't fit into my needs.  I find the #2 perfect for my needs, but everyone has their own needs/wants.  The 3s will be back in stock soon, and they now come with handles! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!