Author Topic: Cold weather smoking  (Read 2863 times)

mini14gb

Cold weather smoking
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Just a word to let you know that I fired up the #2 this morning at 1 degree above zero with some mild wind 5-10 MPH.  I had to warm the Auber probes in my hands to get them to register on the Auber display so they would control.  Set the Auber to hold 230 degrees til a temp of 180 degrees in the thigh of my turkey.  The temperature has had a few minor swings but has not dropped below 223 F.  I could have NEVER ran my old smoker at these temperatures.  One more reason to love the Smokin It!!! 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cold weather smoking
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
I ran mine last year at -15 and didn't have a problem at all. My old smoke would have been at a best a warmer or a cold smoker at those temps. The Smokin-It didn't have a problem maintaining temp at -15 at all. My only problem was the fat volcano (see pic below) that  was created in my drip pan :P

To each his own on this, but you should be good to go with 165 internal meat temp on Turkey as well as other poultry. 180 may dry it out a bit too much.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mini14gb

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
Greg thanks for the reply.  I will stick with 180 as I've never had a problem with it in the past. I am pretty impressed with this thing a cold temperatures. I'm glad to know that it could still perform at even lower temps. Minus 15 wow...nice volcano!!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
On a related topic, any issues with a maverick transmitter at cold temps?

Smoking a butt tonight, low is supposed to go down to the teens.

Having a few flurries so I put the transmitter in a zip lock bag.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
At low temps the probes may not register until they heat up. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.