Author Topic: Anyone using pellets?  (Read 8110 times)

Barrel99

Anyone using pellets?
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
I have wanted to try pellets. I understand from Steve that many of us are using them.

Do you use the screen from Smokinit, any other techniques, how much are you using, what brand, what flavors, is the overall cooking time changed, does the temp get hotter, what kind of food have you used with pellets, do you start low and move up the temp, etc.

Thanks everybody.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:34:37 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone using pellets?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »
Good quality pellets are great, especially in low temp smokes. You have to use the chip screen, weigh them as you would blocks use equal weights. Trager and the Cabelas brand are good. You want pure compressed wood with no filler or binder.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
Hi Brian.
Do you put the pellets in foil or straight on the chip rack?

So if I was using a 2 oz chunk, I would use 2 oz pellets instead?

Do you get more smoke with pellets?

Thanks,
Arnie

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
I don't use foil on any wood. But I also wouldn't use pellets for a very long or high temp smoke. They have their place in your bag of tricks. They are fantastic is the right situation.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
I never use pellets.
I purchase different woods Apple / Maple / Cherry / Hickory / Mesquite from Walmart in the Outdoor section.
Never purchase the chips either, buy the chunks.
With the larger chunks, I take a chisel & ball-peen hammer & split to reduce the size.
Have a model 3 & the only problem I have so far is wondering why I didn't have 1 decades ago.
Excellent temperature control, much less time spent worrying over the meat & better consistent results.
J. French

vetkilr

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
I almost exclusively use pellets in mine. I find it to be a more consistent smoke and it doesn't ever put off the bad smoke that can change your flavor. I always put mine in foil with just a small hole in it ( I use a small knife and poke it) doesn't need much.

I just did bacon wrapped chicken breasts smoked with 3 ounces of Apple-wood pellets. Smoked 1 hr at 200 then last 45minute at 250 max. Then broiled in oven for 3 to 5 minutes to make the bacon crispy.....Ummmmmmmm

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
In my non Smokin-It smoker, I use a combination of sawdust, chips and chunks to get a quick start to the smoke and then phase to the next bigger piece of wood.  When my new smoker arrives, I'll probably continue the same practice out of habit.  I found a great price on pellets and bought 2 - 20# bags so they will now be part of my starter. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
In my non Smokin-It smoker, I use a combination of sawdust, chips and chunks to get a quick start to the smoke and then phase to the next bigger piece of wood.  When my new smoker arrives, I'll probably continue the same practice out of habit.  I found a great price on pellets and bought 2 - 20# bags so they will now be part of my starter.

Dave, these are completely different animals - MUCH easier!  You put the desired weight of chunks or pellets into a cold smoker, start your cook, and leave the door closed.  Never open the box to add wood during a cook!  It's not necessary, and you lose valuable moisture/heat in the process. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
Great topic! Forgive me for being late to the party. I am a brand spanking new #3 owner but I do have lots of experience with pellets. I have a Traeger pellet grill and have used pellets in my A-Maze-N smoker as well. I have even used pellets in my both of my Big Steel Kegs. When it comes right down to it, pellets are wood so you can use it as you would any other wood. Same measurements. I at one point knew a guy that would sell me Traeger pellets, 20 pound bags, for $10.00! That ship has sailed but the last time I saw him I bought 9 bags of different flavors. Apple, Maple, Oak, Hickory. Good stuff.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »
I only use them on my grill, put in a small tuna can, hole drilled center

Excellent smoke.

Looking forward to what others are doing with them on their smokers!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
Since our smokers require so little wood in weight, I like the fact that pellets provide a way to get the variety of woods that I like to use in my smokes.  With chunks it is hard to get a 3 or 4 wood mix and not be over weight.  I can put a chunk of my primary wood in the box and then sprinkle in a wide variety of other flavor while being economical with the amount of wood going in. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »
Since our smokers require so little wood in weight, I like the fact that pellets provide a way to get the variety of woods that I like to use in my smokes.  With chunks it is hard to get a 3 or 4 wood mix and not be over weight.  I can put a chunk of my primary wood in the box and then sprinkle in a wide variety of other flavor while being economical with the amount of wood going in.

So what is your favorite mix and quantity of each?

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
Greg,
2 things are typically a constant for me, apple and cherry will each make up a 1/3 of my mix.  The final 1/3 will either be pecan or hickory.  When I used my gasser, it was easy to throw different kinds of wood in the box every hour on the hour.  I've got lots of plum, oak, almond and a few others that I'd like to utilize but just too dang hard with these wood stingy smokers.

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
I do the same Dave. The progressive smoke has become my standard and gives me a whole range of options while still staying within the weight. My favorites also are apple, cherry, and hickory. One thing I learned about pellets is if you pile them up and they are in the hot part of the box, they will make white smelly smoke.

Rich B

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:13 AM »
I was at Costco yesterday and they have the Traeger pellet smoker again but they are selling the 20lb bags of hickory pellets for $14, I may have to pick one up to try some of these techniques.
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations