Author Topic: 2 Packer Briskets in a Model 3?  (Read 3699 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
2 Packer Briskets in a Model 3?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
Has anyone ever smoked 2 Packer Briskets in a Model 3?  If so, what method did you use?  Did you have to rotate shelves?  How much longer did it take?

Also, curious about how many people 2 -14lb Briskets will feed?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

tsax6010

Re: 2 Packer Briskets in a Model 3?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »
I am looking for pretty much this same information. Shame this has not been answered...

I am planning on doing 2 or 3 - 10lb briskets in my model 2 in a couple of weeks for a large family gathering following my daughter's baptism. I am very interested in getting any advice on rotating briskets part way through the smoke to prevent the bottom one from cooking too fast or drying out. Also, I remember one time when smoking an injected brisket and pork shoulder together the shallow drip pan was full to the brim. Has anyone had overflow issues doing multiple brined and injected briskets? My smoker is on my wood deck and an overflowing drip pan would be a big mess. If that has been an issue for others it may be worth setting an alarm in the middle of the night to check the pan...

The menu is to serve this with a smoked mac and cheese which I have done before to rave reviews. I do a classic bechamel based sauce using heavy cream and evaporated milk as the base. About 1/3 of the cheese I smoke a couple of days ahead (extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack) with a mix of hickory and apple woods. I bake the mac and cheese in large oval slow cooker crocks with a panko and cheese crust - this works great for large crowds since the baked dish can sit in crock pots on warm for hours. I make a BBQ sauce using my spice rub as a flavoring base but honestly my previous single briskets were so good no sauce is required. I like to take some of the fat cap and chop it up to put in baked beans, and finally I whip up some honey butter to go on grill roasted corn on the cob.

Typically for the brisket I would thinly coat with yellow mustard and go heavy handed with my dry rub and let sit wrapped in the fridge for 24 hours. Right before smoking I would inject with a mixture of beef broth and worcestershire. This time I am thinking of using my usual pork shoulder brine too for 24 hours after reading a lot of threads here that brining has worked well for people, then applying the mustard, rub and injection right before smoking. Thoughts? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:55:53 PM by tsax6010 »
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
I have now smoked 2 briskets since I first posted this question. 

My top brisket was fat cap up and my bottom brisket was fat cap down.  I did not rotate them at all.  I did stick a thermometer in each of them to monitor their progress.  They were actually done at about the same time.  They turned out perfect.  I did cook them (without an auber) max'd out at 250.  The time they took was surprisingly about the same as cooking 1 brisket.  Maybe a little longer but not by much.

I've done 4 10lb pork butts at the same time in the number 3 and I did have to empty the drain pan to make room for more. 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
In the past when trimming a brisket, I have kept the trimmed fat and placed that on the rack and then placed the fat facing up.

This way you have fat on the top dripping down and the bottom protected from the heat.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:51 PM »
How do you get any bark on the bottom with the unattached fat in contact with the brisket?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

tsax6010

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the update Libohunden. Very helpful!
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »
How do you get any bark on the bottom with the unattached fat in contact with the brisket?

+1...Inquiring minds want to know!  Sounds like the top of the flat will look a little naked! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!