Author Topic: how to best reheat frozen BBQ?  (Read 7147 times)

Oscar

how to best reheat frozen BBQ?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
I'm having great fun with my #2.
I have some vacuum-packed and frozen ribs in the fridge thawing.

How do I reheat them without having them be overcooked?
I tried the microwave on some country ribs, but I think I overdid it...

-Tom
Tom in Allyn, WA (S. Puget Sound)

Muzikman

Re: how to best reheat frozen BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
I personally would avoid the microwave.

If your vac bags can handle it, I would toss them in a pot of boiling water. Bring water to a boil, turn down heat, toss bag in for 15-20 minutes.

If not, wrap them in foil and toss them in the oven (or grill) (350º'ish for around 30 mins, or 225º'ish for about an hour).
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
I regularly reheat vacuum sealed pulled pork by boiling the bag. I only use Food Saver brand bags, so not sure how the cheaper ones would hold up. The Food Saver bags and designed to be able to do this and are food safe for reheating your sealed foods of all kinds.

If you have a pot big enough to fit your bag, I think that is a great option for the ribs too.

If not, I would prefer using a crock pot with a little cider/water on the bottom verses reheating in the oven. I have done this several times with very good results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Muzikman

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
I reheat pulled pork in the crock pot all the time, but never tried ribs. I actually never really thought about it, but yeah, that would work.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
I slice the cold ribs into individual sections then sear them in a hot non-stick skillet on their sides. When I flip them to the other side I add sauce, then stir them around to coat everything. Every rib gets caramelized and heated through. It is quick and easy, only taking a few minutes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Oscar

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I am using a Food Saver, so I'll try the boiling method.
The ribs won't fit in the pot, so I'll cut them in half and rebag them before boiling.

I appreciate the quick response.

Tomorrow I'll smoke some more country ribs, using Tony's brine and a store-bought rub. The aroma of the leftovers I bring for lunch drive the volunteers at the boatshop crazy. I guess I need to bring the #2 to the shop and whip up a big batch for the fellows!

-Tom
Tom in Allyn, WA (S. Puget Sound)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I am using a Food Saver, so I'll try the boiling method.
The ribs won't fit in the pot, so I'll cut them in half and rebag them before boiling.

I appreciate the quick response.

Tomorrow I'll smoke some more country ribs, using Tony's brine and a store-bought rub. The aroma of the leftovers I bring for lunch drive the volunteers at the boatshop crazy. I guess I need to bring the #2 to the shop and whip up a big batch for the fellows!

-Tom

You will have friends for life if you do that ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Gregg!  I had never thought about throwing the bag in boiling water.  I have pulled pork in foodsaver bags in the freezer now, and I think one of them is about to meet some boiling water!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
I find that sous vide (preferably a circulator) is the best way...it's gentle and there's no loss of quality.
Luckily it's become much more affordable recently.
~Martin

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
I tried the boiling water method last night and it worked perfectly.  Removed the meat from the bag and right on to the bun!  Worked like a charm.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
I use a couple of different methods.  For vacuum-packed pulled pork, the boiling method works well.  For whole pork butts, I vacuum pack them while still wrapped in one layer of foil (holds all the juice in).  Then, I thaw in the fridge for a couple of days, and put the foiled butt in the crock pot, on low, for 4-5 hours.  I place a round pie rack under it, so it's not sitting on the bottom of the crock pot.  When you unwrap it, it's perfect!  I then pull it, as normal, and place back in the crock pot on "warm."  Covered, it stays nice and hot & moist for serving.

For ribs, I cut my full racks into half racks, and vacuum pack them for freezing.  Again, thaw in the fridge a couple of days.  Since it would take a big pan to boil half-racks of ribs, I use the crock pot for them.  I have an 8-qt pot, so I can stand up to 4 racks of baby backs in there.  I put them in vertically, sitting on their sides.  I'll put about 1/4" of apple juice in the bottom, cover, and heat on low for around 4 hours.  Again, they come out moist and hot.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
I have found using the microwave to reheat any meat can change the flavor and usually not for the better. I avoid it if I can.  Unless, you reheat at a low setting like 5 or 6 or even less and increase the time. This low and slow (hmm...where have I heard that before) microwave technique has worked quite well for me.

Also, putting the meat in a fry pan, no oil or anything else and also low setting and slow has worked very well for me.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
I have reheated refrigerated ribs, not frozen, in a ceramic baking dish just big enough to hold half a rack.  I added about 1/4 cup of water with some drops of liquid smoke in it, and tightly covered the whole thing with foil.  Put in a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes or so.  Worked very well.  I'm wondering whether a covered casserole would work just as well.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.