Author Topic: Stall???  (Read 3131 times)

dannyboy

Stall???
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
I have seen on several post something about "in the stall" What is a stall please? Greek to me.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

McKay

Re: Stall???
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
Here is the very best explanation I have found.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

dannyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
Thanks McKay. That is an excellent read.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
Excellent reference, McKay.  You beat me to it!  Way to be on the ball! 8)   You might also see the references to the "Texas crutch," which is a technique used to lessen the length of the stall by foil wrapping.  I have used the crutch, but don't foil anything anymore.  The only time I ever wrap meat in foil is prior to smoking, and when I remove it to rest in the cooler!

Let me just say this about the stall - expect it, with large cuts of meat, and plan for it.  It can last for several hours!  You'll see the internal temp of the meat rise, somewhat rapidly, prior to the stall.  You'll find yourself thinking "Wow!  My 8 lb pork butt is going to be done in 4 hours, at this rate!"  Heh... doesn't work that way.  At some point, usually in the 160s to 170s range, that upward soaring temperature will plateau, and "stall."  Trust me on this, it happens every time with large cuts of meat.  You won't see a stall on ribs, chops, things like that.

Very important:  Don't be tempted to "rush" the stall by cranking the temp all the way up.  After an hour or two into the stall, I'll usually increase temp 10-15°, but that's it.  The stall is where all that wonderful internal fat and tissue is rendering into liquid, and moving into the muscle meat!  As it moves to the surface, you get that surface cooling effect that causes the temp to flatten-out.  You, often, will even see the temp fall a few degrees!  This is normal, and your smoker is still working!

With experience, you'll learn to plan for, and embrace the stall!  It's our friend, as it's when the magic is happening inside the meat! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
If you're the type who's easily frustrated by the stall...you can empower yourself by smoking at the "wet bulb" temperature...which...when the surface of the meat is moist..is the real temperature at which your meat is cooking/smoking. I usually smoke at the wet-bulb temperature....no stall.....

http://modernistcuisine.com/2012/08/barbecue-stall/

~Martin

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:57:29 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
This one's going a bit over my head, Martin!  I'm going to have to re-read this a couple of times, as I don't understand the "wet bulb" concept. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!