Author Topic: Conflicting Information For Seasoning Smoker (foil or no foil)  (Read 5923 times)

Muzikman

Conflicting Information For Seasoning Smoker (foil or no foil)
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
I am finding conflicting information between the Smokin-It web site (http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/OperatingInstructions%204-14.pdf) and the forum (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1929.0).

The Operating instructions on the web site say to cover the top of the smoke box and the bottom of the smoker when seasoning it. The Forum says not to.

I am figuring that there is no reason to season the top of the smoke box or the bottom of the smoker since they will be covered when you actually have meat in there, so what's the point. I also think that the creosote build up on the surface might make the foil stick.

However, I can see the argument for not using foil when you season so that those surfaces can burn off any dirt and oils from the manufacturing.

So, what does everyone suggest?
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Conflicting Information For Seasoning Smoker (foil or no foil)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
My opinion/vote is for no foil.

The foil is to help clean-up of fat/grease which should not be present in the seasoning session.

Plus, like you said, you want to burn off those oils from the manufacturing process.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
The statements are not conflicting...the first paragraph on the smoking-it page is for seasoning the smoker -- no foil required.  The second paragraph where foil is recommended applies when you are ready to start smoking meat.   For the seasoning run, don't use any foil since you want the seasoning to cover the entire inside of the smoker.   When you are ready to smoke meat, then you will want to foil the top of the smoke box and the bottom of the smoker...this is to catch drippings from the meat and to make clean up a lot easier!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Muzikman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
They are. Read the first paragraph fully.

It is recommended to season your new smoker before the first use.This will improve your cooking experience and the desired taste of the food.Remove all packing materials from inside and outside of the smoker. Place two pieces of the sample wood into the wood box. Completely close the wood box lid and slide over the heating element. Remove the shelves, then close and latch the door of the smoker. It is recommended to cover the top of the wood box lid with aluminum foil and also the bottom of the smoker. Set the temperature control to 250 degrees and let your smoker run for three to four hours completely empty.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
Oops...I stand corrected, totally missed that part!   I would still go no foil on the seasoning run - the foil has no benefit that I can think of when the smoker is empty.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Muzikman

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
Now, after re-reading it when I did the copy and paste, it does seem that the statement is a little out of place. It is mentioned after it tells you to close the door, so I wonder if it's just a typo.

Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
I vote typo!  But there is one important detail in the part on smoking food--be sure to punch a hole in the foil on the bottom of the smoker to keep the drain hole open.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »
Jason, you've caught some of the early website text that needs a little, uh, "freshening" (to put it nicely).  No foil required on the seasoning run, just when cooking.  I don't recommend foil for 2 reasons.  First, what is stated here about burning off the factory oil (it kind of stinks).  Also, the smokers are made of "stainless" steel, not "stainproof" steel.  I think a good coat of smoke helps protect the surface of the metal.  While the stainless used in these smokers is very resistant to rust and corrosion, a little extra protection never hurts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muzikman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Well, it's seasoned.

With it about 10ft from the house on the back patio, it still made the entire basement smell like a camp fire, even with the back door closed. I was shocked at how much smoke it put out and for how long. I still had smoke at hour 4 and when it was done and pulled the smoke box out after it cooled, I found the three wood cubes were mostly ash, but enough wood remaining that there was still smoke and embers.

Now to get some meat in the thing.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Yes, you will really save money on wood with this smoker. This just means you can use it more ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
I agree with no foil, but feel the racks should be in for the seasoning run. The racks need to come up to temp to cook off any production funk and get a layer of creosote. My racks clean up with no effort, this is in contrast to other members cleaning rituals I have read about.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Muzikman

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
I seasoned with the rack holders, but not the racks. The racks went in the dish washer.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
I seasoned with the rack holders, but not the racks. The racks went in the dish washer.

I "season" my shelves with every smoke, but the ride in the dishwasher afterwards has them looking new again! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!