Author Topic: Baby Backs  (Read 1943 times)

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
Baby Backs
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
Ran three racks of baby backs through the #3 last week for my wife's birthday. A nice healthy dose of Meathead's Memphis Dust, held on with some yellow mustard, went on before the ribs took a 5.5 hour trip in the smoker with about 2.25 oz. of hickory, plus a little water pan.

The result was pretty tasty. I'm still fairly certain that I prefer a well-smoked rack of St. Louis cut ribs. I think that the extra fat and connective tissue that gets rendered down during a nice, slow smoking actually makes them a little bit more tender. Not that the baby backs aren't tasty, but if you get a decent rack of SLC ribs, there's more meat, and if you smoke them nice a slow at about 225 or so for 5.5-6 hours, they come out pretty tasty. And they're usually cheaper (though not by a whole lot sometimes).

But I've only done one round of each so far, and clearly many more trials will be necessary before a responsible conclusion can be made. I'm sure my wife, as a scientist and a rib lover, will approve.  :)

I got a before picture, but hunger got the better of me and I forgot an after pic. But there's still a rack leftover, so I'll try and snap one of it.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Baby Backs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Hey Geoff, you can't go wrong with either ribs. When smoked properly, they all taste great.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Baby Backs
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
I agree with Smoke, Geoff - can't go wrong with either!  I was raised on spares, but have come to love babys!  Guess that's what makes it a horse race; we all have our own "winners!" ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!