Author Topic: what smoker temps should i see?  (Read 2460 times)

KyDog

what smoker temps should i see?
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
3 1/2 hrs  in and 733 only reading 217 max, set on 240. Is this normal with the load I have in.
3 racks babts, taters and beans.
Dave

WeekendWarrior

Re: what smoker temps should i see?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »
I've started placing my box probe just a few inches from the built in probe and get much different readings, than what I would get placing the probe close to the food.

I usually see temp swings about +15 to -15 degrees, so if it's set to 225 it will bottom out at 205 and tops out at 240.

If my probe is too close to the meat, it usually reads 10 to 15 degrees lower.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

KyDog

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »
Have the probe clipped to top rack, close to ribs, thermostat set at 240 and highest temp I've seen I'd 220 with maverick. Pulled beans out at 4 hrs, onions and peppered done look finished, will finish in oven after I drained some of the juice out. Getting a little pull back on bones but not much. Check again in a hour.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Could be a probe placement issue, or your dial could be a little off.  I recommend checking the temp at the vent hole with another thermometer (or use the meat probe for the Maverick); that should be a pretty true temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
I just saw the other post on how you loaded your smoker.  I would not have put a thick layer of potatoes under the meat like that.  You effectively created a huge heat sink between the heat source and the meat.  Next time, put the taters and beans above the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

KyDog

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
Yep, live  and learn. Pulled taters at 5 hrs, their finished with slight smoke favor, taste good.
Temp now climbing hit 243.beans caught too much drippings and onions and green peppers needed more time oven. Learning experience.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
That's what it's all about!  I think we all learn a little something from every smoke.
Tony from NW Arkansas