Author Topic: New to forum, have a question  (Read 4220 times)

txborn58

New to forum, have a question
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:47:20 PM »
Looking for a smoker mostly for making smoked sausage and all the research points me to the SI #3. Temps will be from 125° to 165° in 10° increments and can't handle those 40° swings so will add the Auber PID.

Question is, will this unit produce smoke at those lower temps or would I need to use the AMNPS? Currently using a rigged partial WSM and hot plate but that will not work in the winter and it is a high maintenance ordeal!

Thanks

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New to forum, have a question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »
I have a SI #2 and it begins producing smoke at about 100F, so I think you will be OK.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

txborn58

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply - that sounds encouraging. The only other issue is I hope there is enough ventilation to circulate air around the sausages so they don't bathe in their own moisture. I am used to an adjustable vent on top to regulate airflow.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »
Purchase the James Jerky Dryer if you need more ventilation.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »
You will easily have smoke at your temps of 125-165.

I typically start seeing smoke around 100 as well.

Like Walt said, you will definitely want to get a James Jerky Dryer.

I tried smoking snack sticks a couple of months ago and there was just too much moisture in the box. So, it kind of steamed them more than smoked them.

The Jerky Dryer is the ticket though. I haven't bought one yet. But I definitely will before I try any more sausage or jerky.

On the other hand, the tightness of the smoker and its ability to retain moisture is awesome when it comes to smoking pork butts, briskets, and ribs.

You can say good bye to the old 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 methods and spritzing that you may have had to do with your previous smokers.

BTW, I have a #3 too and I think you will be vey happy with the Smokin-It #3.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

txborn58

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
So looking at the dryer it looks like it  fits over the small hole in top of the smoker. With the added ventilation does that cause the wood to burn hotter? Does it blow air into the smoker or exhaust it out? If it sucks it out, don't know why you would need a filter.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Hi Tx!  You've come to the right place to learn all you possibly can about these SI smokers!  We have several sausage experts on hand here, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them!

The Auber is a fantastic addition, if you desire really tight temps.  I also highly recommend the permanent-mount probe (wall mount).  It takes all the variables out that can be introduced by probe placement, and brings a level of consistency to the Auber that the removable probe can't.  It's an easy installation, and there is a detailed instruction post under the Auber section.

I use the James dryer for jerky, but have never made sausage.  It draws air up through the smoker.  If you really need to have smoke rolling the entire smoke (not sure why, though), you could wrap the chunks or chips in foil to minimize the effect of the added airflow.  Just a thought.  Pork Belly and NDKoze are a couple of the resident sausage experts, though.

Don't be shy about any questions concerning pros/cons of these smokers; you'll get honest answers here! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
I don't have a dryer yet. But if you check out the Jerky section there are some posts from people using them.

I think most smoke with it turned off for a couple of hours to prevent the combustion. With the dryer plugged into the Auber you can program when the dryer turns on.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »
I get good smoke with chips at 100. I also run my dryer from the onset of the smoke with no negative affects.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
Welcome Tx....
You're at the right place...This is a great place to be if you want to learn about smokin..
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...