Author Topic: it just arrived...  (Read 3636 times)

jdiver

it just arrived...
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
My New Model 2 just arrived a few minutes ago. Unboxed it, cleaned it out, took it out to the deck, added wood and sealed it up, and cranked it up. Tomorrow gonna put on some baby backs...

I'm excited.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

jscott

Re: it just arrived...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Just got mine yesterday.  They aren't messing around with the packaging.  I got it seasoned and ready for some ribs on Sunday.  Good luck.
Jeff - Fort Worth, TX via Shawnee/Norman, OK

slojoe

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
Just got mine last Tue., Steve must be doing somethin' right, By the way, Fedex or some alien power sent my smoke box chip holder to Ohio, called and a new one is on its way to Louisiana right now, good service..

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
That is something I had meant to pass on to SI. The packing is excellent. My father designed packing and shipping boxes; how the box was constructed and amounts of padding was needed. I know he would have been impressed with the SI Packing. Good luck with your first smoke.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »
Congrats, jdiver!   You will have plenty of good smokes in your future!   I did BB ribs on my first smoke as well...if you haven't already, be sure to get the rub down tonight so they can get happy happy happy overnight!   I recommend the no peak method for the ribs, but some folks also use the 3-2-1 method.   With the no peak, I let them go at 225 for 4 - 4.5 hours, then take them out for a quick sauce, and back in for another hour.   Let us know how you make out....Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »
Welcome, JD and Jeff!!  Glad to see 2 new members of "Team SI" on the same day!  You guys have definitely found the land of Lazy Q, and will love your new smokers! Congrats!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
The Ribs are rubbed, first mustard, then dry rub. A sweet one for my wife, and a spicy one for me. Seasoning done, had smoke that I noticed for a good while. And still smells of smoke once done. Put together stand while it seasoned.  The bottom shelf was damaged, a corner was bend up. I got it flat enough to work, so no big deal. It's hidden by the wheel.

-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

jdiver

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
BTW I've done the 3-2-1 before, had good results. But this time I want to just walk away, so no peek it is.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
Way to go, JD!  "No peeky" rocks!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
Hey JD, welcome to the club and the SI family. Be sure to use the right amount of wood, these units are very efficient. For ribs I prefer 2 oz. If you prefer more smoke flavour, then you can go with 2.5 - 3 oz.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It